How to fix the legend in ArcMap?

10-14-2010 02:59 PM
GabrielaAlcaraz
New Contributor
Hi!
I am creating a layout template for visualizing serveral map layers. I need a legend that maintains a 2 column setting no matter what.

When I insert the legend, this is created to fit fine with the layers that are currently visible, however when I change the layers or take some off and then put them again, the legend "loses" the 2nd column and the newly added items get ordered vertically and unfortunately, out of the page.

How do I set up the legend that permamently keeps the 2 column setting and that covers exactly certain region of my page independently of the layers that are included on it?

Thanks for any insights!

Gabo
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
I don't think you can do either without writing or finding a script that do so if your map connection is active (see Legend Properties - Items - Map Connection) which is the default.

You could turn off the legend's map connection checks and thus set up a fairly static legend that stays unchanged.

Or you could create simple layers that are used to create the legends but don't display on the map within the layout and hence don't change.
0 Kudos