how can i add a custom scale bar or modify an existing one...

04-14-2010 03:17 PM
leifolson
New Contributor
We're trying to set up a standard format for in house maps, and we need to use the house scale bar. Is there a way i can add or modify the scale bar styles for arcgis?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KatharinaDubach
Occasional Contributor III
Yes, when choosing which scalebar you want, click on "properties" in the dialog box. Change all the things you want, click OK. Now you can click on "Save" and save your scalebar under new name. It will now be available as one of the scalebar styles. When you use it later on, you will only have to adjust its size/length but not the other options (like colours, font, ...)

Hope this helps,
Kathi
0 Kudos
leifolson
New Contributor
yes, i understand that, but how can i go about adding an entirely new image to use for the scale bar itself. Its not the font and colours etc, but the actual image used for a scale bar. I try to load a new image (under more styles), but it seems to want an 'esri style set', and i don't know how to define this...
0 Kudos
leifolson
New Contributor
bump! Anyone have a solution to this?
0 Kudos
leifolson
New Contributor
how can i define a 'style set' with a custom scale bar image?
0 Kudos
AileenBuckley
Esri Contributor
There are three ways to create a scale bar as an ArcGIS symbol that can be used by others and on other maps and that will change dynamically with changes in the map:

1.  Export Map Styles tool �?? to create a new style that includes the scale bar on an existing map in the Scale Bars folder of a new style that you create through export
2.  Create a new scale bar as a symbol in a style �?? use Style Manager and create a new scale bar in the Scale Bar folder and set the properties
3.  Copy and modify an existing scale bar �?? similar to #2 but you don�??t have to start from scratch

However, you say something about wanting to use an image in a scale bar and I don't know what you mean.  These methods for creating a dynamic custom scale bar primarily use lines, polygon fills and text as the primitive elements for the scale bar.  Theoretically and actually, you can use other things like picture markers and character markers that relate to glyphs instead of alphanumeric symbols to constuct the scale bar as well.  You might need to send us a picture of what you are trying to achieve so that we can see what you are talking about.
0 Kudos