Globe map inset

12-27-2011 03:15 AM
Thinley_JyamtshoWangdi
New Contributor II
Of lately, I had been trying to prepare a map inset showing the political boundaries of world along with grids. But the problem i faced is how do i prepare the map inset in circular shape (not normal Rectangular shape). It has to be something similar to the globe we look at it.

I have seen some inset map with circular shape but i had been exploring all the means to do it without any success. I wish someone could help me out.

Many thanks
Thinley
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WilliamClark
New Contributor II
Reproject your inset data to a world view perspective.  There are a few to get this effect depending on the specifics you want: orthographic, perspective, and Robinson.
JamesSimard1
New Contributor III
Hi Thinley. I usually use Verticle Perspective (sphere) projection. Located in Predefined --> Projected Coordinate System --> World (Sphere Based) --> Verticle Perspective (sphere). Hope that's what you were looking for.

James

Of lately, I had been trying to prepare a map inset showing the political boundaries of world along with grids. But the problem i faced is how do i prepare the map inset in circular shape (not normal Rectangular shape). It has to be something similar to the globe we look at it.

I have seen some inset map with circular shape but i had been exploring all the means to do it without any success. I wish someone could help me out.

Many thanks
Thinley
Thinley_JyamtshoWangdi
New Contributor II
Dear William and James, Many thanks for your direction. Its working fantastic.

Secondly, i have used the world countries showing all the borders. After projecting to the Vertical perspective, by default the re-projected view is giving the African continent on the front. If i have to focus on India and its neighbors, how do i rotate view so that i get the India on my front view?

Once again thank you so much
Thinley
0 Kudos
JamesSimard1
New Contributor III
Hi Thinley. Open up the properties window of the Data Frame, navigate to the coordinate system tab, and choose Modify. Fool with the parameters until you see India in view.

James

Dear William and James, Many thanks for your direction. Its working fantastic.

Secondly, i have used the world countries showing all the borders. After projecting to the Vertical perspective, by default the re-projected view is giving the African continent on the front. If i have to focus on India and its neighbors, how do i rotate view so that i get the India on my front view?

Once again thank you so much
Thinley
0 Kudos
Thinley_JyamtshoWangdi
New Contributor II
Hey James, Its working fine. I played with Longitude_Of_Center and Latitude_Of_Center parameters. Its working perfect.

Thanks a million
🙂

Best Regards
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III
thinley,
could you contact me?

thanks,
justin
0 Kudos