Federating ArcGIS Server Error

Jump to solution
09-08-2015 08:41 AM
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

When I try to federate an ArcGIS Server with my portal I get the following error:

"There was a problem federating the server at this time". 

I cannot seem to find any documentation on this specific error.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewBowne

So, I figured out what the problem was.  Even though I my Server site was running 10.3.1, the license version was not current.  It was an Enterprise Advanced license but was from perhaps 10.3?  I upgraded the license to a 10.3.1 license and was able to register the server as federated.

Now, onto the next issue....

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Andrew,

Have you seen this thread?

Federation error in Portal for ArcGIS 10.3

There's some steps to take in troubleshooting - maybe it will help on your end!

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

Yes, I've seen the thread and tried all the suggestions but none of them are helping.  I'm still combing the interweb looking for anything about that specific error.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

It's a pretty nebulous error, if I ever saw one! Really, this thread is the only thing found on Google:

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

And what you found is this thread!

0 Kudos
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Andrew!

That error is unfortunately rather vague, but I do have a few questions for you:

1) Are you using signed certificates for the ArcGIS Server (or web adaptor) and the Portal web adaptor?

2) From the Portal machine, can you access the two URLs you are using for federation from a web browser?

3) For the services URL, are you using the web adaptor URL, or the URL with port 6080/6443?

4) Is there a proxy involved?

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

1) Are you using signed certificates for the ArcGIS Server (or web adaptor) and the Portal web adaptor?

Yes, Self-Signed certificates for both

2) From the Portal machine, can you access the two URLs you are using for federation from a web browser?

Yes

3) For the services URL, are you using the web adaptor URL, or the URL with port 6080/6443?

The Web Adaptor url for the services url and the port url for the Administration URL

4) Is there a proxy involved?

No

Additionally, I added a screen shot of the Portal Log.  I'm not sure why, but it says the server registers, then suddenly unregisters.

Log.PNG

0 Kudos
DanielUrbach
Occasional Contributor II

Is administrative access enabled on the server web adaptor?  If so try to federate using the web adaptor URL for both entries.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try federating the ArcGIS Server site with 6080 port (http) instead of 6443 (https)

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndrewBowne

So, I figured out what the problem was.  Even though I my Server site was running 10.3.1, the license version was not current.  It was an Enterprise Advanced license but was from perhaps 10.3?  I upgraded the license to a 10.3.1 license and was able to register the server as federated.

Now, onto the next issue....

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

0 Kudos