Data Driven Page based on attribute not feature

12-01-2010 09:25 AM
AaronGreiner
New Contributor III
Using Data Driven Pages, I???m attempting to create a map book of routes that has one page for each route.  The route information is based on a field in our street centerlines so there are many segments that make up one route.   Since the route is made up of many segments, when the route layer is chosen for the Index Layer, Data Driven Pages creates one page for each segment which is not what I need.  I have tried using the Grid Index and Strip Map Index tools to create a custom grid with one polygon for each route without success.  I could always create custom polygons for each route or merge all of my features into one for each route, but I???d like to have this process automated without needing to tweak the polygons every time a route changes.

Has anyone found a good solution or workflow for using Data Driven Pages that can be based on the attribute in a field rather than on the individual geometries of a feature class?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanHouck
New Contributor III
I'm having this exact same problem, only with a sewer network.  I need to be able to create a wash book based on line features sharing a common attribute, instead of having to create polygons surrounding these areas for my index layer.  I wouldn't mind creating the polygons if there was a simple way to do this that I could automate into my workflow, but with the frequency of changes to this dataset, doing it manually would create too many opportunities for human error.
0 Kudos
JonathanHouck
New Contributor III
The solution I've come up with that's working for now is using a tool called Minimum Bounding Geometry to create the index layer polygons from the attribute I needed.
0 Kudos
MalcolmParnell1
New Contributor
Apologies for being so late to the party ...

How about using DISSOLVE to create the index features; dissolving on the attribute value for your routes. This is pretty much what the old (mmm, workstation ...:cool:) route features in a coverage did.
0 Kudos