Select to view content in your preferred language

Dashboard source data change

10-11-2022 09:44 AM
AmmaraC
New Contributor

I've been asked to update a dashboard that a colleague had previously made. In order to do so, I had to update/change the source data (tables, points, polygons).

So, (in the dashboard widget on arc GIS Enterprise) I wanted to confirm if it's possible to change the source map or data of a pre-existing dashboard? I was hoping not to have to start a brand new dashboard from scratch.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

What happens depends on what types of changes you're making.

If you're only updating the data (rows) in the current feature layer or table then there will be no changes needed to the dashboard.

If you want to change the feature layer or table being used there are two routes to do that:

1. You can add the new layer/table to the map then reconfigure the dashboard to point at the new layer/map. When you switch the data source of the dashboards element you will loose some or all of the settings so make sure you note them down so you can reconfigure them in the same way.
  2. If the layer/table has a similar schema you can swap the item out using ArcGIS Assistant. This involves JSON editing so I would not recommend this route if you are unfamiliar with editing JSON.
AmmaraC
New Contributor

So, I'm actually adding a new column to the points data and I don't actually have access to the existing map at all. How can I go about changing the data source in the dashboard itself?

I do have access to the dashboard.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

Do you have access to the feature service to add the column to it directly?

Most dashboards pull the data sources from the map. It is possible to have data sources external to the map but switching to that configuration could cause issues depending on how your dashboard is configured.

Is there an administrator who could transfer all the existing items to you that would potentially save a lot of work.

0 Kudos