Creating Grid to work in the Data View

Jump to solution
03-27-2013 12:53 PM
AmirYadghar
New Contributor
Hello

I have a data layer (a map) and I need to divide the map into equal squares (let say 10 by 7=totally 70 equal squares). I think the grids will do this for me. But when using "Make Grids and Graticules Layer" tool in Cartography toolbox, it only creates the grids on the Layout View. It's not good for me.

I need the grids to create squares for me and then I need to know the area percentage that each grid (square) is taken from the map.

Please advise.

Regards,
Amir
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Amir,

Please consider either the Grid Index Features Tool or the Create Fishnet Tool.

Best,
Melanie S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelanieSummers
Hi Amir,

Please consider either the Grid Index Features Tool or the Create Fishnet Tool.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
AmirYadghar
New Contributor
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The fishnet tool worked great. I have the square grids now. Can you please tell me how I can calculate the geometric parameters, like the area percentage of each grid, and the area of some components in each grid? For example, each grids contain a vegetation cover. I would like to know, let say, what is the percentage of Trees in a certain grid.

Regards,
Amir
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Amir,

I'm not sure how you're data is set up so I am assuming you have large polygons that intersect multiple sections of the grid.

1. Run the intersect tool with the polygons and grid as the inputs
2. Add a field called poly_area, calculate geometry to get the area of the intersections
3. Run the Spatial Join tool to attach the area of the Grid feature class to the output of the intersect tool
4. Add a field called percentage, calculate this to be poly_area/grid_area
5. Run the Spatial Join tool again to attach percentage to the grid

Is that what you needed?

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
AmirYadghar
New Contributor
Hello

Thanks for your useful reply.

Actually, my problem is:
I have a DEM layer which is for a certain study domain. I should divide the study domain into several square grids (which I did with your previous post) and then according to the slopes (which I have to figure out from the DEM), I should divide each grid into 4 sections, which will be done manually, and there is no formula for it 🙂

So, my problem is that when I divide each square into 4 parts, how can I calculate the area of each part and its area percentage?

Thanks again,
Amir
0 Kudos