Change Portal Web Adaptor URL to new URL

04-21-2023 02:22 PM
Labels (1)
AdamCottrell
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, I was wondering if it possible to change the Portal web adaptor URL to a new URL without breaking portal, the federated server, hosting server, etc?  For example, if existing URL is https://gis.agency.com/portal and I want to change it to https://gis.agency.org/portal.  I'm getting conflicting information.  I know an agency that had to change and it broke their portal.  They had to rebuild in a new environment.  I found the document "Unregistering ArcGIS Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS" and I think this is what I need to do to remove the web adaptor but concern it will break everything.  The reasons for this are:

1. Our agency public facing websites have changed from a ".com" to ".org"
  2. Our GIS web server needs replaced.

I know I will need to update web application URLs for the custom web mapping apps that I created so that does not bother me.  I'm mainly concern about breaking the CORE products: Portal, Server, and Data Store.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AdamCottrell
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Brian!  I appreciate your input.  I am in a very similar situation.  When you say "watching", how are you doing that?  What are your methods?

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I spend a lot of time digging around in the innards. I try to solve problems by understanding how things work. (It's probably against the rules.) That means I look (but don't touch!) inside set up files like everywhere in arcgisportal/content/items/* and all the JSON files that are maintained as part of a Web AppBuilder app.

Last week it was "pagx" files that are part of my print layouts stored in Server. So, arcgisserver/directories/*

A younger more naive version of myself would say "just do a global search and repair" but experience has taught me it would really be "global search and destroy".

Ye be at the Edge! Here there be dragons!

0 Kudos