Cannot publish to portal

01-06-2023 12:09 PM
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

For whatever reason I have been getting a failure to publish error when publishing to portal. I can publish to AGOL just fine. I've been on numerous calls with Esri customer service as well as pulling in outside sql help to play around and look for what may be the problem. No one can find anything. A waste to pay this much money and not be able to use the service. 

0 Kudos
20 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Laura this is a question rather than an idea I'm guessing? 

Long shot, but have you tried adding the same data to a brand new pro project in a brand new map and publishing that? It might at least rule a few things out.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
Laura
MVP Regular Contributor

@David_Brooks Yes, still does not work

0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

Hi @Laura,

I’m sending this brief message to let you know I’ve moved your recent post 'Cannot publish to portal' from our ArcGIS Ideas area to the ArcGIS Enterprise Portal Questions board where it’s more likely to be seen and responded to by members who can help.

All the best!

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

What are you trying to publish as an item?

Are you publishing from Pro or through the website?

Are you getting any messages in the Portal and/or Server logs?

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
Laura
MVP Regular Contributor

A layer from a database in SQL through Pro. I can publish when it is from a database I just created. 

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

Is your SQL database registered on your ArcGIS Server as a Datastore?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
Laura
MVP Regular Contributor

yes, and it validates

0 Kudos
Laura
MVP Regular Contributor

StatusMessage: ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location.Please see the server's log for more details. 

StatusMessage: ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.

StatusMessage: Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

StatusMessage: Server-side publishing failed

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

We often see those errors when permissions are incorrect or there is a firewall issue.  Can I ask if you're using Database users or Active Directory users?  If the latter, then when you are publishing it is 'you' that is connected to the database.  When you publish you are in effect asking the ArcGIS Server (under a windows service account, i.e. 'not you') to connect to the database.  Even though the server validates with the database, showing high-level connectivity, it does not confirm that it can access each feature class.  You may need to check/change some permissions so that the ArcGIS Server 'service account' has the appropriate permissions to read from SQL.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos