Basemaps unavailable after upgrading to 11.2

2 weeks ago
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I recently upgraded my ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 to 11.2. It is a single machine deployment. Since the upgrade, our basemaps are unavailable in both Pro and the map viewer in Portal. When clicking on the basemap options we get a screen that says "Basemaps unavailable".

I've checked all of the organization settings - the basemap gallery is set to default, and nothing was changed after the upgrade.

I have a ticket out with Esri. They said to try to re-index the Portal, even though the index counts currently show no issues. I'm going to do this later today, but I'm skeptical it will make a difference. I was wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

11 Replies
MarcoHochuli
New Contributor

Same problem here after updating from version 11.1 to 11.2. No solution found yet.

ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Did they have you re-index the Portal? 

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Do your Instant Apps work?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

See my post here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/11-2-upgrade-instant-apps-config-won-t-com...

We lost the Instant Apps configuration page and all but basic shapes in Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic symbology picker when we upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2. 

So we cannot create an Instant App or re-configure any of our existing Instant Apps.  Nor can we modify anything but basic symbology in the map viewer.

I did receive 2 warnings during and after the post install.  The first came during the post-install from our Carbon Black:  "Threat Blocked".  The second was a Post Install notice that said there was a problem with the language pack install.  Since I could do nothing about either notice, I did nothing.

In the meantime:

I have been working with support for over a month and there is no solution found.  For us, we did not lose basemaps from Living Atlas, but losing the other components (for us anyway, just as bad).

From the console logs, the Instant App config page appears to be looking for js and ts scripts as well as calcite components that for whatever reason did not install.

I say 'did not install' as opposed to 'did not install properly' or 'did not install in the right location' because my webgisdr backup files are now 2Gb smaller than my 11.1 webgisdr backups.  We didn't delete 2Gb of items, layers etc so to me that suggests alot of libraries, etc didn't install.

Anyway, support asked me to search the portal gwdb for a user 'esri_en', items owned by user 'esri_en', and groups owned by user 'esri_en'.  'esri_en' as a user is not found, because 'esri_en' is either a language or a culture tag in an items info, but not a user.  I do however recall seeing 'esri_en' in older versions of Living Atlas maps and layers.

At this point, they have now suggested to maybe try and Export Site and Import Site operations, based on information that those ops can sometimes repair corrupted installs.  I'm not so sure.  Plus there is not much help on this from the Portal rest api help.

I am more inclined to try a new install of 11.2 on a new server and perform a Join Site, as this is something we just did at 11.1

Wish I could help more.  Our rep is going to try to escalate our case for us...

ShelbyZelonisRoberson

YIKES you just ruined my day 😅.  Just checked our instant apps... they don't work either! This is crazy! 

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Oh I should also mention -- our upgrade had no errors and overall the process was shockingly seamless. I was surprised because I usually have a ton of problems, but, now it looks like we do again! 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ouch.  No basemaps or Instant apps. Yeah I hear ya.  There are problems with this release for sure. .  Some orgs got lucky apparently, ours (yours) did not.  And agreed, the update did go very smooth for me, with the exception of the install setup.exe would hang for like 45 minutes between 'estimating size' and 'install'.  But once it got going, they were fast.  and then post-upgrades went fast.  Server was very quick, as was datastore.

Our rep was able to escalate our case, so fingers crossed.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Was there a resolution to the basemaps or instant apps issue? We're in the same boat. Basemaps are a pretty important piece of functionality for our customers.....

0 Kudos
StevePoladian
New Contributor II

Is there a "ESRI Supported Workflow" resolution to the missing basemaps and instant apps issue?

We're in the same boat, we engaged ESRI Professional Services this past weekend April 26th 2024 for the upgrade of our HA.  Ultimately we rolled back to our snapshots, resulting from the issues with the missing basemaps, instant apps no longer working and a deficit of 200+ portal items.

Like @DavidColey we also experienced a "warning" regarding the failed to configure languages content during an upgrade.  Upon testing we found that we were missing all ESRI basemaps and our in house basemaps were longer displaying in our third party (OpenGov) software, Instant Apps just spun.  We could not create new Instant apps or edit existing ones.

We contacted support Saturday morning and the technician had us search the portal PSQL in the install folder for a user 'esri_en', items owned by user 'esri_en', and groups owned by user 'esri_en'. We also searched the portal sharing rest for the same with no items or users found.  The ESRI Tech mentioned that there is a customer that did a comparison of a good install to their faulty one and imported the missing tables and users but there was not a "Supported" workflow.

0 Kudos