AWS EC2: Impossible to connect to Portal

Jump to solution
10-11-2018 09:47 AM
EmilioGómez_Fernández
New Contributor

Hi all,

We are trying to deploy Portal for ArcGIS on Amazon EC2 using the ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 AMI on Ubuntu following the ESRI documentation. The installation of the AMI is correct, ports 7080 and 7443 have been opened and Portal is running correctly without any apparent error. So far so good, the software is all installed and licensed. The problem arises when accessing the Portal for the first time:

https://54.172.xxxx.xxx:7443/arcgis/home

After trying to connect the browser it ends up throwing an error:

The connection has expired

The server 172.31.68.112 is taking too long to respond.

As you can see it is trying to connect to the private ip, not the public, but I do not know why this is.

On the other hand I can access the Portal Administrator Directory without problems:

https://54.172.xxxx.xxx:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There are various redirects within the software that happen if certain conditions are met, (or not met, really). Have you created the Portal yet? Since browsers aren't installed on those AMIs, you can use the createportal utility:

Silently installing Portal for ArcGIS—Portal for ArcGIS (Windows) Installation Guide (10.5) | ArcGIS... 

Once you do that, set the WebContextURL property within Portaladmin to your ELB or whatever front-end you'll be using for your Enterprise:

Configure your portal to use a reverse proxy server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Then, you should reach the Portal through the web context URL.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There are various redirects within the software that happen if certain conditions are met, (or not met, really). Have you created the Portal yet? Since browsers aren't installed on those AMIs, you can use the createportal utility:

Silently installing Portal for ArcGIS—Portal for ArcGIS (Windows) Installation Guide (10.5) | ArcGIS... 

Once you do that, set the WebContextURL property within Portaladmin to your ELB or whatever front-end you'll be using for your Enterprise:

Configure your portal to use a reverse proxy server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Then, you should reach the Portal through the web context URL.

EmilioGómez_Fernández
New Contributor

Thank you very much Jonathan Quinn, fixing the property WebContextURL solved the problem.

I had been stuck with this for a couple of days without finding the solution. I appreciate your time.

0 Kudos