Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatic scheduled downloads of hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
02-01-2024 05:48 AM
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

Hi all. I have a hosted feature layer on my Enterprise Portal that I would  like to back up periodically. This hosted feature layer is not in an Enterprise geodatabase. I would like to write a script that will download the hosted feature layer as a file geodatabase and store it in a cloud storage folder on a regular basis, say, weekly. 

Any advice on where to start to set this up? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Hi @mshanaghan.  Do you have ArcGIS Notebooks in your Enterprise Portal?  That would be a great place to create a script to download and backup your feature layer.  Here is a huge list of sample notebooks to get you started - https://developers.arcgis.com/python/samples/

And don't forget that ArcGIS Online can also be used as a cloud storage system.  It should be easy to use an ArcGIS Notebook to move a copy of your feature layer from Enterprise Portal to ArcGIS Online.

Bernie.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Dan_Brumm
Occasional Contributor II

DanielBrumm1_0-1706801106214.png

This will get an item by id, export to file geodatabase, and download it . 

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd

View solution in original post

3 Replies
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Hi @mshanaghan.  Do you have ArcGIS Notebooks in your Enterprise Portal?  That would be a great place to create a script to download and backup your feature layer.  Here is a huge list of sample notebooks to get you started - https://developers.arcgis.com/python/samples/

And don't forget that ArcGIS Online can also be used as a cloud storage system.  It should be easy to use an ArcGIS Notebook to move a copy of your feature layer from Enterprise Portal to ArcGIS Online.

Bernie.

0 Kudos
Dan_Brumm
Occasional Contributor II

DanielBrumm1_0-1706801106214.png

This will get an item by id, export to file geodatabase, and download it . 

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

@Dan_Brumm I knew it would be easy in an ArcGIS Notebook!

@mshanaghan The other nice feature of ArcGIS Notebooks - there is a built in scheduler to run your script.

Bernie.

0 Kudos