Adjust display in Layout View

06-03-2013 01:25 PM
JanetBrewster
Occasional Contributor II
Hi All,

I want to crop my map in Layout View -- is this possible to do?  Because I have graphical text and symbols on the map, I want to be able to take a little off the bottom of my map, without messing up the placement of the graphics. When I have the data frame selected and then drag the middle bottom resize button, the scale stays the same, but the area of my map display changes -- and therefore messes up the graphics. I then have to manually drag the map to try to get it to line up how it was before.... Is there a way to do this without having to manually adjust it?

It's a very basic question.... There must be a simple answer that I'm blanking on?  Thanks for your thoughts -
Janet

v10.1 sp1  64-bit
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I want to crop my map in Layout View -- is this possible to do?  Because I have graphical text and symbols on the map, I want to be able to take a little off the bottom of my map, without messing up the placement of the graphics. When I have the data frame selected and then drag the middle bottom resize button, the scale stays the same, but the area of my map display changes -- and therefore messes up the graphics. I then have to manually drag the map to try to get it to line up how it was before.... Is there a way to do this without having to manually adjust it?

It's a very basic question.... There must be a simple answer that I'm blanking on?  Thanks for your thoughts -
Janet

v10.1 sp1  64-bit

This might be a silly question but is your map Geo-referenced?
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Janet,

If these graphics are associated with a location on the map you should create them in data view; this way when you change your data frame in layout view, the graphics will resize and move with the map. Graphics made in layout view are not associated with a spatial location and are the equivalent of a legend or north arrow.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
WadeLobb
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks for the responses. I still haven't found out how to simply crop/resize the layout without things moving around (I don't want to clip it based on a shape, and yes, everything is geo-ref'd), but maybe it's not possible.

However, I did learn that there are two ways to add graphics in Layout View, one of which will keep the graphics linked to locations, like it does when you add graphics in Data View (it's nice not to have to go back and forth between the two views). Before adding graphics  in Layout View, double click the data frame to get into "Focus" mode (the boundary of the data frame will have hatch lines around it). Adding graphics while in this mode will allow you to move the map around without messing up their placement.

So that solves my problem of being able to crop my map without messing up the graphics, but I still have to manually readjust the map after I resize it to go back to the view that I had before....
0 Kudos