Adding XY data

09-03-2012 05:05 PM
BraulioQuintero
New Contributor
I am using ArcMap 10 and I am trying to add XY data in an Xcel spreadsheet. I have done this multiple times with data for US in UTM. However, I am working with point in decimal degree format for Ecuador and all my shapefile layers are in WGS 1984. Ihave not probelm adding the XY data, but before displaying it when I open the table the points under the 'Lat' column appear as 'null'. The 'Lat' points are very close to zero (0.3-0.5). The data in the 'Long' columns appear (-79.3, -79.5). Does anybody knows what could be happening. Is it the that ArcMap cant recognize such small 'Lat' points? Should I convert my point to UTM's and and my layers too? Is it a projection issue?

Thanks,
Bali
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Bali,

I wasn't able to reproduce this in 10.1, but coincidentally, Jamal Numan had a similar problem in the general ArcGIS forum. Greg Keith noticed that the column header had a trailing space. Once the original person removed the space, no more null entries when the table was imported/viewed.

Maybe check for starting or ending spaces, illegal character in the column names, etc?

Melita
0 Kudos