Is there a guide or process on how to create a DBO-schema Enterprise Geodatabase on Azure SQL Server?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
ManuelPerez
New Contributor II

Good Morning,

I've been looking for a process or guide on creating a dbo-owned schema Enterprise Geodatabase using an Azure SQL Server instance. When attempting to run the create enterprise geodatabase tool I get the following error:

ManuelPerez_0-1714749808792.png

Doing some further research, I followed the guide provided by Jack Chen for an SDE-owned schema and it worked successfully. I'd like to be able to do a DBO-owned schema on Azure as well without triggering these errors. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@ManuelPerez - the GP Tool "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" is not a supported workflow to create the ArcSDE Repository in Azure SQL Server, instead we use the "Enable Geodatabase" workflow. The DBO Geodatabase Schema is not supported in Azure SQL Server. We need to create the SDE user, grant the correct privileges to the SDE user and then use the "Enable Geodatabase" GP Tool to create the ArcSDE Repository in the Azure SQL Server database.

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Create Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure 11.2 requirements for Microsoft Azure databases—ArcGIS Enterpri...

Requirements for using ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 with databases in the cloud—ArcGIS Enterprise ...

MarceloMarques_0-1714754425174.png

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@ManuelPerez - the GP Tool "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" is not a supported workflow to create the ArcSDE Repository in Azure SQL Server, instead we use the "Enable Geodatabase" workflow. The DBO Geodatabase Schema is not supported in Azure SQL Server. We need to create the SDE user, grant the correct privileges to the SDE user and then use the "Enable Geodatabase" GP Tool to create the ArcSDE Repository in the Azure SQL Server database.

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Create Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure 11.2 requirements for Microsoft Azure databases—ArcGIS Enterpri...

Requirements for using ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 with databases in the cloud—ArcGIS Enterprise ...

MarceloMarques_0-1714754425174.png

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ManuelPerez
New Contributor II

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@ManuelPerez  - You are welcome.  : )

0 Kudos