Is AWS Workspace the only solution to give users access to SDE DB on AWS?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
KiwiGISmapster
New Contributor II

Hi folks,

I am just thinking if there are other ways our SDE databases (Read-Only account access) on an AWS VPC can be shared to wider GIS users without the need to give them access to an AWS workspace. The only way i can think of is creating FGDB replicas of our SDE DBs and providing a copy of those FGDB to our internal network folder.

Appreciate if anyone can comment who has gone thru the same requirements?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KiwiGISmapster - you might also consider.

Replication and geodata services—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Server allows you to configure geodata services using ArcGIS Pro. A geodata service provides access to a geodatabase remotely using ArcGIS Server. Beginning with the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 release, you can share a geodata service to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 or higher. If you have a stand-alone ArcGIS Server, you can save an offline service definition and then publish it to your stand-alone ArcGIS Server.

If you have existing legacy geodata services created via ArcCatalog or ArcMap, you can use them in ArcGIS Pro to create and synchronize replicas. If you upgrade your ArcGIS Server, with legacy geodata services, to version 11, you must change the service runtime to ArcGIS Pro. See migrating to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime for more details.

The geodatabase replication tools support local geodatabases through geodatabase connections and remote geodatabases through geodata services. Wherever a geodatabase connection is required, you can supply your geodata service instead. The geodata services are accessed via server connections in ArcGIS Pro.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KiwiGISmapster 

1. AWS Workspaces - ArcGIS Pro installed

2. AWS EC2 Instance - ArcGIS Pro installed

Windows Server Remote Desktop Role to allow multiple users to remote connect.

3. ArcGIS Server Map Service

4. ArcGIS Server Geodata Service

Geodata service—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

5. ArcGIS Geodatabase Replication

Geodatabase replication fundamentals—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

6. Replication and geodata services—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this helps.

KiwiGISmapster
New Contributor II

Thanks Marcelo,

I think option 1-3 is less considered, as I mentioned we do not want to incur costs for the use of AWS workspaces and i would less be inclined to let users remote into one of the virtual machines in the VPC. I will look into 4 and 5. I have heard and read a bit of the option 4, Geodata service, but I am guessing that would just add more load to the AGS servers for the simple purpose of letting users work with GIS data directly from the DB for desktop mapping and analysis. Cheers  

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KiwiGISmapster - you might also consider.

Replication and geodata services—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

ArcGIS Server allows you to configure geodata services using ArcGIS Pro. A geodata service provides access to a geodatabase remotely using ArcGIS Server. Beginning with the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 release, you can share a geodata service to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 or higher. If you have a stand-alone ArcGIS Server, you can save an offline service definition and then publish it to your stand-alone ArcGIS Server.

If you have existing legacy geodata services created via ArcCatalog or ArcMap, you can use them in ArcGIS Pro to create and synchronize replicas. If you upgrade your ArcGIS Server, with legacy geodata services, to version 11, you must change the service runtime to ArcGIS Pro. See migrating to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime for more details.

The geodatabase replication tools support local geodatabases through geodatabase connections and remote geodatabases through geodata services. Wherever a geodatabase connection is required, you can supply your geodata service instead. The geodata services are accessed via server connections in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
KiwiGISmapster
New Contributor II

Nice one Marcelo, so sounds like i can create:

• FGDB replicas of our SDE DBs
  • Publish FGDB replicas as a GeoData service for our ArcPro users

Probably worth to trial it out and see how AGS will behave.

Thanks again Marcelo. Wonder if this is widely used by other users so far.

0 Kudos