Azure VMware Migration

06-23-2021 08:40 AM
Labels (1)
Sunnywaygis
New Contributor III

Hi There, We have GIS Server site on Premise that we are planning to move to Company Azure Cloud. This site is federated with Portal. Plan is to move only GIS Server site to cloud and migrate Portal at a later date.

Cloud team has recommended lift and shift using Azure VMware Migration (AVS), I wanted to find out the experience of community members who have taken this approach and issues they came across with this approach. Based on my readings so far, ESRI strongly recommends reconfigure rather than Lift and shift. 

Appreciate any feedback.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

hello,

We've not done a migration to our Company Azure (yet).  We are considering it.  Our initial planning includes moving the entire stack (server, Portal, Data Store, Web Adaptors) plus our EGDB to Azure at once.  What's driving your move of Server 1st then Portal later?  I'd consider that move high to very high risk unless you have exceptionally high confidence in the connectivity between your on premise resources and Azure.

Just throwing out some things to consider.  Please let us know how it works out.

0 Kudos
Sunnywaygis
New Contributor III

Thanks for the input. The reason behind Portal and Server site promotion to Cloud is due to the fact that Portal is managed by another group in the Company. We have concerns about federation but Cloud team has indicated that cloud migration via AVS maintains configuration. Our plan is to deploy dev environment first and see what issues we come across and plan for the next steps.  

0 Kudos