Update Source Option for Services Hosted in ArcGIS Online & Portal

10-11-2018 01:16 PM
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I recently had to move services in our Portal's ArcGIS Server instance.  This resulted in the layers being given new URL's.  I had to update all my apps so they pointed at the correct URL.  It would be nice if I could just update the URL the layer references rather than adding the layer again and setting up all the properties (symbology, labels, etc.). 

Tags (1)
3 Comments
MatthewStull1

I'll 2nd this idea, it would be very helpful!!  Having to redo symbols, labels, etc.. is a big time drain.

MattyMaps

Sounds like a great Idea

JamesMadden1

Post is almost 5 years old.  I believe ESRI has partially added this functionality.  I know certain versions of Enterprise allow you to update the service url for feature services.  Updating the URL for map services requires a slightly different approach.  You can remove and re-add the layers but then you run into a bunch of updates at the app level.  We've adopted the approach of copying the web map json config locally and just updating the map service URLs in those files.  Still requires manual updates but the map ID is maintained with that approach.