There is no ArcGIS Ideas Exchange space for Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic

a week ago
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

I'm surprised that there is no space in ArcGIS Ideas for Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic. We definitely need that.

Use case scenario:

This is regarding Attribute Inspector window or Pop-ups window. The window that opens up when you click a feature.

1. I was trying to look for a way to rearrange a feature service (layer) fields list in a certain way in Map Viewer so, they show up rearranged in the pop-ups window, but there does not seem to be a way to do that. I can go to Settings and pop-ups to rearrange the layer's list, but that list is not honored in Web AppBuilder unless you rearrange the layer's fields list in ArcGIS Pro or, in Map Viewer Classic.

2.  In Map Viewer you can add a feature service and it comes bundled up in a Group just like an Image service does, but again the Group character of a feature service unlike an Image service is not honored in Web AppBuilder. They separate out. It would be great to have an option to also keep feature service in a bundle in Web AppBuilder.

Thank you,
Abi

2 Comments
ArchitSrivastava

Hello @AbiDhakal ,

I did some testing and have some findings I would like to share, which are mentioned below:

• To view changes in ArcGIS web AppBuilder the map has to be configured in Map viewer classis, As I understand the cause behind this is ArcGIS API 3.x for JavaScript on which Map Viewer Classic and ArcGIS Web AppBuilder are built.
  • Any configuration of Attribute Inspector window or Pop-ups window created in Map Viewer will be honored in ArcGIS Experience builder and ArcGIS Dashboards not in Web AppBuilder.
  • Map Viewer Classic in ArcGIS Online has been marked for deprecation with the ArcGIS Online June 2023 update and I assume this is consistent with same time release of ArcGIS Enterprise.     For more details : Deprecation: Map Viewer Classic in ArcGIS Online Deprecation (esri.com)

I agree that there is no specific section for Map viewer (I would not expect on for Map Viewer classis due point 3 mentioned above) but I do see a lot of ideas posted for "Map Viewer" posted in  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-online-ideas and few of them got addressed as well.

Hence, I think that "Ideas Exchange" would be better to share this concern (not saying that here it's incorrect). Furthermore, I do think that it would be a better approach to migrate the workflow to Map Viewer (as I am doing the same) and log the concerns on the Map viewer as it would stay for a longer time.

Hope it helps!

-Archit

AbiDhakal

@ArchitSrivastava- I understand that things need to be migrated to Map Viewer and Experience Builder, but some of these things do not seem fare to the users as Experience Builder does not do all the tasks that Web AppBuilder does yet we are not able to use Map Viewer to configure Web AppBuilder.