Portal Customization Options

12-12-2018 09:00 AM
StevenDague
New Contributor III

I would like to be able to disable items within the top menu on the Portal Home Page(Gallery, Map, Groups, etc).  I would like to have a minimalist portal page with only "Home" and "Sign In" options along the very top bar.  The following items should be able to be disabled: Gallery, Maps, Groups, Content, Organization, App launcher and Search tool. It would be nice to have a clean portal that looks like the attachment.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi Steven,

A new feature called Sites was released with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1. You could use a site as your portal's landing page and customize it to be relatively minimal and expose only the information (layers, maps, etc) you'd like to show:

ArcGIS Enterprise Sites–A Tailored Experience - YouTube  

About ArcGIS Enterprise Sites—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hilary

StevenDague

Hilary,

I had not thought to use Sites for this purpose.  It does require the administrator to configure a new page to solve the original idea though.  I can see how it would be able to display a minimalist design since the user adds only the content desired.  I still feel that my original idea would be useful since you can disable "scenes" already.  Just add toggles for the other menu items for a clean approach (change config setting vs create a new site/portal item).  Thank you for the suggestion.

by Anonymous User

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. Taking a look at your original screenshot. Is the intent that you navigate users to just that app when they log in? (Users don't do web mapping or analysis and don't need to search for any other content?)

Hilary

StevenDague

Hilary,

The intent is for anonymous users to see the cleanest, simplest view.  The anonymous user (general public) does not need access to any feature of the Portal beyond the Web Apps or Web Maps that are available to everyone.  Once a user logs in, then they would have access to the other menu items.  Maybe this can be tied to the user roles (viewer, user, publisher, etc) and controlled as a permission to see various functions?  I was trying to simplify the user experience for non-technical/non-gis users of the Portal.  Thanks for taking the time to ask follow-up questions.

Steven

Arpa_PiemonteGeoportal_Team

Totally agreed. 

Adminsitrator shoud be able to set the visibility of the general elements of the Portal and choose what to show and what to hide  as simple on/ofin the organizaion preference page.

Enrico