Select to view content in your preferred language

Estimating the Usage Costs for GIS in the Cloud

04-28-2011 07:17 AM
BradleySonger1
New Contributor II

Can we have a utility that gives insight into costs for deploying ArcGIS Server in the Cloud? I'm thinking a conceptual web app(s) hosted by Esri with a usage counter displayed in real time, or a report at the end of the usage session.

This would let a customer do the following math:  “If using the application for 5 mins, my usage is (X). (X) multiplied by (Y) number of hits per month = (Z) Total usage. What would it cost to buy (Z) total usage from Amazon or Microsoft?”

There are whitepapers out there and Amazon posts some guidance documents, but I think something more interactive with a sample application would be a huge help to customers wanting to adopt a cloud strategy.

2 Comments
AndrewDiaz
 Our city is upgrading to ArcGIS Server this year, and we are considering ArcGIServer in the Cloud.  Having a tool that can provide cost based on the amont of usage of cloud-based services can greatly benefit the city, which relies heavily on budgeting.
MaggieBusek
Status changed to: Closed

Thank you for your idea! This is not something we are planning to provide, but many cloud providers may have estimation tools available.