Select to view content in your preferred language

Develop futuristic ArcGIS Self-healing systems

05-27-2024 03:23 AM
kandulakiran
New Contributor II
As technology evolution accelerates and maintain system become increasingly complex ArcGIS should have robust inbuild capability to monitor for anomalies, define remediation strategies

Self-healing systems are not about machine learning or artificial intelligence, but about understanding systems' frequent error scenarios and automating simple recovery steps.

ArcGIS should be designed with built-in mechanisms to automatically detect, diagnose and repair detected issues/errors/problems.

This will make ArcGIS more robust and resilient with three fundamental inbuilt functionality/Mechanism:

1.Fault detection
2.Isolation
3.Recovery

Fault detection: Involves monitoring the system to identify when error has occurred.
Fault Isolation: Involves identify the source or cause of the error.
Fault Recovery: Involves system taking corrective action to fix the error and continue normal functioning of the software.

Benefits:

1.Self-healing systems helps organization with reduced downtime by detecting and fixing real-time issues.
2.Improves system reliability and availability
1 Comment
ANRGIS
by

I agree 100%

Currently we are dealing with service interruptions and downtime and find myself pouring over hard to decipher logfiles and trying to understand what the issue is for each error. Why isn't this incorporated into the software to detect the issue and report it in a more readable, identifiable, and potentially self-correcting manner? I'm seeing SEVERE errors in our logfiles for clients trying to reach a service that has been deprecated for YEARS. Why can't ArcGIS Server identify these legacy services and isolate them to another bin. I don't need them in the logfile. 

Similarly, if a particular service is experiencing timeouts, isolate it, recycle it, and if it continues, provide better reporting. Instead, we're forced to license a separate product for service monitoring which should be included as value-added functionality to ensure uptime.