Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatic staggering of service recycling times

07-15-2021 09:57 AM
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

Hello,

After going through nearly 200 services and manually setting & staggering the recycling times, I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a way to define a block of time (like 12am-4am) and the stagger interval (such as 30 minutes), and the system, since it knows how many services are present, automatically breaks them into even groups and applies the staggered recycling times. So, in my case, it would assign the first 25 services a recycling time of 12am, the next 25 a time of 12:30, the next 25 a time of 1am and so forth. It could even suggest times and intervals based on the number of services present and load/usage patterns if you want to get fancy, but the basic suggestion would be a time-saver. It could be re-run as the number of services grows to refresh the distribution and make sure it's even.

Thanks,

Chris

2 Comments
EricEagle

my guess is most people do this with python but this would be an awesome capability to have in core

John_Spence

The recycle times do not happen all at once.  The server actually staggers it based upon whether or not the service is in use, CPU, etc.  If you are in a clustered environment, you can also shut down a arcgis server service at your lowest use period and restart it which would automatically restart the services on that box all at 1 time.  If you were do use this method, you would need to put the box in Maintenance mode prior to so the web adapter funnels traffic away from that server until you take it out of maintenance mode.