Allow user definition within a geodatabase for when a global id should change

11-01-2022 05:59 PM
AJR
by
Occasional Contributor II

It would be nice if there was a way to define within the geodatabase when an edit to a record should cause the global id for that record to be reset (to a new guid).  For example, if the shape is edited more than xx% it would get a new global id or if it is moved more than yy distance from its original location it would get a new global id.  Similarly, there may be some attributes that when change should trigger the creation of a new global id rather than preserving the existing one (i.e. if a pump is swapped and gets a new serial # the global id of the record should be regenerated).  These rules should be configurable within the geodatabase per feature class and stored with the feature class (so if the feature class is exported the rules go with it).

2 Comments
JohannesLindner

ObjectID and GlobalID are used for database internal processes and can't be edited using ArcGIS (maybe with your database's management software, but I'm not sure about that and I strongly suggest not trying it, as it might corrupt your database).

For your use cases, the easiest solution might be to create a new GUID or Text field in your table and change the value of that field with Attribute Rules.

For example, your distance use case can be solved like this:

if(IsEmpty($feature.GuidField)) {
    return GUID()
}
if(Distance($feature, $originalfeature) > 100) {
    return GUID()
}
return $feature.GuidField

Be aware that any relationships built on that field will be lost when its value changes!

AJR
by

Thanks Johannes.  I can come up with workarounds as well and I'm not suggesting that the gloablid field be editable, but rather that when it's changed from an existing guid to a new one be controlled by user-defined parameters so that it doesn't just represent a specific row in a database but rather the feature being modeled.  If there were rules that could be defined (analogous to attribute rules or topology rules) that defined when a record gets a new global id that would make them useful for things other than just ESRI's internal usage (i.e. basically as a glorified object id).  This is the forum where you submit ideas to ESRI that users like ourselves believe would be useful for them to incorporate into future releases of their software (not the technical forums where you try to solve an issue or come up with a workaround to existing software shortcomings).