Select to view content in your preferred language

Report ArcGIS Enterprise/ArcGIS Online Item Dependencies

04-15-2020 12:29 PM

Report ArcGIS Enterprise/ArcGIS Online Item Dependencies

This tool will create a report on the dependencies for a service or a web map.  This can be helpful to see what web maps/applications will be affected by making changes, or deleting, a particular item.  When creating a report for feature services, the tool will report which web maps and web applications are consuming the service.  When creating a report for a web map, the tool will report which web applications are consuming the web map.  

A CSV file is created from this tool.  Below is an example report created for 2 feature services, Cities and NYPD_Crimes:

The Cities service is found in 2 web maps, Cities Web Map and Airports Web Map.  The Airports Web Map also has an application created from it called Airports Web App.

The NYPD_Crimes service is only found in 1 web map, NYPD Crimes Web Map.

See the video below for a demonstration:

Note:  this tool was created using the ArcGIS API for Python, and can only be executed within ArcGIS Pro, not ArcMap.

Update 8/2/21:  tool now works with ArcGIS Online.  The ArcGIS Online version can take a significant amount of time.  It's dependent on the number of users you have in your ArcGIS Online organization, as the tool iterates through each Creator user type and checks their web maps/web appbuilder applications.

Update 10/19/22:  tool will report Experience Builder and Dashboard applications.  A 'sleep' parameter has been added to the ArcGIS Online version to help avoid too many requests to ArcGIS Online, resulting in the tool to fail.

Update 9/5/23:  whether you are creating a report from ArcGIS Online, or Portal for ArcGIS, a single tool can be used.  A sleep parameter is no longer required if running against ArcGIS Online.

Update 10/6/23:  can now select multiple users

Update 7/17/24:  support for Image Services

Update 7/29/24:  support for Story Map applications, and for stand-alone services in Experience Builder applications and Dashboards

Attachments
Comments
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

@JakeSkinner  - Thank you, Jake. It worked right and the tool is great!

jakek
by
New Contributor III

@JakeSkinner Jake this a great tool.  What we noticed yesterday is that it may not be recognizing single sign on (SSO) for AGOL.  I'm an admin on AGOL in my organization where SSO was implemented a while back.  When I enter the AGOL URL, it looks good then a red X shows on that parameter when I put in my credentials.  Any ideas?  Let me know if you need more info or screenshots, etc.

Thank you for spending the time to develop it and keep it updated.  Much appreciated.

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@jakek are you using a SAML IDP (i.e. Entra, Okta)?  Unfortunately, SAML is not currently supported.  You will need to use a built-in account, or an Active Directory account.  If using an Active Directory account, windows authentication cannot be enabled at the web adaptor level.

Version history
Last update:
a month ago
Updated by:
Contributors