Select to view content in your preferred language

rectifying a map

10-10-2022 11:52 AM
DorothyMoore
New Contributor

I'm trying to rectify a map of Fort Kent Creek in Rockford Ill. in 1835, I've been to school for Geospatial, and have not been working with this part of the education until now.  I have forgotten what is area of rectifying a map of this creek.  Please explain where in the Esri community and teachings I would need to go to. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sharon_MU
Esri Contributor

Hi @DorothyMoore ,

Thanks for reaching out with us !

Generally,  to rectify a map,  it's recommended to use ArcGIS Desktop, aka, ArcGIS Pro.  

Not sure if you are rectifying a map of vector dataset or an image map ?  

If you're also looking for a community for interactive discussion with more users, please feel free to join and post your questions in ArcGIS Pro community. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro/ct-p/arcgis-pro 

Thank you and have fun !

Sharon

0 Kudos
Sharon_MU
Esri Contributor

@DorothyMoore   Additionally, if the accuracy is not the priority and you may just want to view an image map in the rough area where it should be.  ArcGIS Earth could be an option for this requirement.

There is a layer named Grould Overlay,  which enables the users to browse an local image to add to the Earth scene.  The corners of the Ground Overlay can be adjusted or specified via typing in the coordinates.

Ground Overlay is not intended for accurate spatial adjustment, but for viewing images in an accepted scope.    Try this if you're interested.  

Feel free to share your feedback or question.

Thank you !

0 Kudos