Very slow setup for float license on Pro

11-18-2018 06:19 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi All

We have one license server that is used for ArcMap and Pro.

You can change the license setting in ArcMap, turn licenses on/off without any problem.

When we try to set the license for Pro it takes about 5 minutes (!!) to get the scroll list of the licenses.

ArcMap and Pro on the same machine accessing the same license manager.

Any idea??

11 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Mody,

Thanks for bring this up.  We are aware of the situation.  As you are aware, ArcGIS Administrator is used to connect to the license manager and display all available licenses for ArcGIS Desktop.  For ArcGIS Pro we move that function within within the application so user can toggle back and forth.  Because of the change, the process for connecting and retrieving licenses changed as well.  We have improved the response time at the next version, ArcGIS Pro 2.3 but not as responsive as ArcMap still.  We have an issue internally improve this even further in the future.  

0 Kudos
jessneuner
Occasional Contributor

we are having the same issue with 2.8 -- the initializing for the Licensing panel is very slow (I'm at 8 minutes with my current attempt, so have been scouring the internet for any glimmer of hope) and it's hard to understand what is going on... 

is this something that is still be worked on?

melhashash
New Contributor

For me, it took about 30 minutes. Any updates on this issue?

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can specify the port (say 27002) on the license server and and the client end, and configure firewalls to keep that port number clear, that may solve your issues. The default is to look for an open port 27000 to 27010 and that searching process can slow things down. 

Esri KB 11663 How To: Configure the ArcGIS License Manager to work through a firewall https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011663

If you are still stuck, Esri Support can certainly help you nail down what the issue is, as this is site specific. They have neat tools you can use to nail down what is going on and fix it!

KevinRathgeber1
New Contributor III

We have had similar issues however our started after upgrading from desktop 10.3.1 to 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.2. to 2.6.3.  The older versions had no issues (10.3.1 and 2.2) had no issues when managing licenses however the newer version exhibited issues.  In Pro 2.6.3 after clicking on Licensing in the menu, you would have to wait about 5 minutes before the Configure your licensing options button enables.  After clicking that button it would take about 10 minutes to display the license server information and allow you to change a license.  Once again this was not an issue on Pro 2.2 with the same license server.

We have configured our ArcGIS License Manager to use a specific port (27009).  That said we run other license managers on the same server including anopther FlexNet one for FME.    I just finally noticed to day that after shutting down the FME Licensing Server service that the problem with managing licenses goes away in Pro.  Starting up that service again brings the problem back.  Something between the two FlexNet items are fighting with each other.  NOTE: This does not affect obtaining licenses.  It only affects trying to view license info and changing license.

MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

Running Pro 3.2.0 and it's still excruciatingly slow!

0 Kudos
KevinRathgeber1
New Contributor III

Solution we recently found is a need to include the port number in the ArcGIS Pro Licensing and ArcGIS Administrator desktop tool in this format
port@servername

The port is the "VENDOR ARCGIS PORT" value in your service.txt file for license manager.

JeffreyTom
New Contributor

Are there any solutions? I am in an organization with multiple licensing server managers. I'm not sure if it is affecting it, but I feel it is. any solutions?

0 Kudos
KevinRathgeber1
New Contributor III

Solution we recently found is a need to include the port number in the ArcGIS Pro Licensing and ArcGIS Administrator desktop tool in this format
port@servername

The port is the "VENDOR ARCGIS PORT" value in your service.txt file for license manager.