Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to connect to database list......

Jump to solution
07-28-2014 11:25 AM
ChadFoster
Deactivated User

ArcGIS 10.1, SP1, Build 3143

ArcGIS Server 10.1

I installed ArcGIS on several new computers in a training lab for our county, I also installed all the SP's, patches and SQL Native Client files.  This is the same installation as my desktop.  When I log in to this computer with my existing username and password, go to ArcCatalog and try to set up a connection to SDE, I get the following error. 

Capture.PNG

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Chad

0 Kudos
29 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Deactivated User

So, the problem is occurring from only one machine? The connections work fine from your personal desktop machine?

Try to copy the sde connection file from that working machine to this problematic machine and then try connecting.

0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Deactivated User

The problem is occurring from 4 machines located in one of our training centers.  The connections work fine from my desktop and the desktops of my other 4 coworkers.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Deactivated User

If you have SQL Server management Studio installed on any of those 4 problematic machines.....are you able to connect from there to this instance?

0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Deactivated User

I don't have SQL Server Management installed on any of these machines, nor do I have SQL Server Management installed on my normal desktop. 

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Deactivated User

have you tryed to just ping the host server from command line on the pc and see if they can even contact the SQL server?

in CMD.exe type ping <servername>

0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Deactivated User

yes I can ping the server.

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Deactivated User

OK, that's a good start!

are you running the most current version of SQL Server Native Client on all the machines?  Is it the right version for the OS?

0 Kudos
ChadFoster
Deactivated User

Yes and yes, it the same instillation process as my desktop, same operating system, same SQL Server Native client. 

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Deactivated User

On a machine with good connections to SDE browse to: C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog.  You may have to unhide the folder: Show hidden files - Windows Help

Copy anything with a .sde and paste it to the same folder on the new machine.

ChadFoster
Deactivated User

Jacob,

That worked!   I guess now I have to copy those files to the other three computers under the folders for those users.

Do you think I will have to do that for every user that logs onto one of these machines?

0 Kudos