Student Version - ArcGIS Error Message

Jump to solution
01-16-2016 01:50 PM
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

We have purchased the "Getting to Know ArcGIS for Desktop" book, and have successfully registered an account with ESRI.com.  We then successfully installed the License Manager, and authorized our student license using the Authorization Code found at the back of the book.

We also successfully authorized the ArcGIS license through the ArcGIS Administrator application.

However, when we launch either ArcMap or ArcCatalog, the launch is interrupted with the error message:

ArcGIS Desktop Advanced is not authorized for use.  Access the ArcGIS Administrator.  Click on the product folder on the left (e.g. Desktop), then select the Single Use product you will be using and click the Authorized Now button.  If you have already received an authorization file from ESRI, choose the third option 'I have received an authorization file from ESRI and am now ready to finish the authorization process'.

So now when we try to double-check and rerun the License Manager Authorization process we now get the error message:

Authorization denied because request would have exceeded max copies for the following authorization number(s).

So what is up with this?  We successfully installed the program, and successfully completed the authorization process, but now the software will not launch with a very confusing error message.

Has anyone had this experience before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Mark Hotz 

It is not at all clear, but the Single User licenses have absolutely nothing to do with the ArcGIS License Manager other than that they all are based on FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage licensing technology.

For the Concurrent use -- "floating" -- licenses, the Esri ArcGIS License Manager is required, and you would authorize a pool of licenses on the Server with Esri. And then serve out licenses from your own pool.

With the commercial Single Use products, including all 90/180 day ESRI press & 1-year Educational use or the 60 day "trial" licenses, the license fulfillment exchanges are done directly for each seat with Esri's FlexNet Publisher servers at Redlands.   The commercial Singled Use codes will be ESU12345678, while the trial/evaluation codes will be EVA12345678.

For Esri Press or Campus Agreement trial/evaluation Authorization numbers--each user/student must individually register their Authorization number here:

http://www.esri.com/StudentEdition

--or--

ArcGIS 90 or 180-Day Trial for Your Workbook

Esri Press | GIS Books & Tutorials - Buy Books Online

Once the Authorzation code is activated--the Single Use authorization is exactly the same for trial/evaluation (EVA) or commercial (ESU) Single Use seats.  It is easiest to accomplish when you have a network connection to exchange the https port 443 traffic using the "Authorize now via the internet"

Authorizing ArcGIS single-use products and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

So, sorry but there was no need to install the license manager--and it would not have "activated" or authorized with the EVA12345678 code that was present in the back of the GTKAGS Esri Press text.

You may only need to launch the ArcGIS Administrator and on the Desktop tab: select the Standard (ArcEditor) Single Use radio button.

But, if you've really locked out the Authorization--contact an Esri customer service rep or Esri Press support, they should be able to arrange a "rearm" of the trial/evaluation code, or issue a new one.  Then correctly activate it against a unique Esri global  user account--or have the CSR do it for you--and then use it to authorize the Single Seat as above.

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To confirm... did you authorize it as single use?

I didn't see anything specific on the installation page.  I will flag

Curtis PriceV Stuart Foote

0 Kudos
MarkHotz

Dan:

Yes.  We actually went through this process a few times and double-checked as much as I could.  The only thing I can think of that might be a reason is a corrupted ArcGIS install...so we redownloaded and reinstalled, but with the same results.

Very baffling.

Mark L. Hotz, BA, DTech, MSc

54° 18' 43.80" N, 130° 19' 7.75" W 

Prince Rupert, BC, CANADA

(778) 887-HOTZ  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I couldn't find anything specific, but Curtis and Stuart are pretty good at getting back.  You really need someone that has gone through that specific situation to help or someone that can find a previous post, if it exists.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Mark Hotz 

It is not at all clear, but the Single User licenses have absolutely nothing to do with the ArcGIS License Manager other than that they all are based on FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage licensing technology.

For the Concurrent use -- "floating" -- licenses, the Esri ArcGIS License Manager is required, and you would authorize a pool of licenses on the Server with Esri. And then serve out licenses from your own pool.

With the commercial Single Use products, including all 90/180 day ESRI press & 1-year Educational use or the 60 day "trial" licenses, the license fulfillment exchanges are done directly for each seat with Esri's FlexNet Publisher servers at Redlands.   The commercial Singled Use codes will be ESU12345678, while the trial/evaluation codes will be EVA12345678.

For Esri Press or Campus Agreement trial/evaluation Authorization numbers--each user/student must individually register their Authorization number here:

http://www.esri.com/StudentEdition

--or--

ArcGIS 90 or 180-Day Trial for Your Workbook

Esri Press | GIS Books & Tutorials - Buy Books Online

Once the Authorzation code is activated--the Single Use authorization is exactly the same for trial/evaluation (EVA) or commercial (ESU) Single Use seats.  It is easiest to accomplish when you have a network connection to exchange the https port 443 traffic using the "Authorize now via the internet"

Authorizing ArcGIS single-use products and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

So, sorry but there was no need to install the license manager--and it would not have "activated" or authorized with the EVA12345678 code that was present in the back of the GTKAGS Esri Press text.

You may only need to launch the ArcGIS Administrator and on the Desktop tab: select the Standard (ArcEditor) Single Use radio button.

But, if you've really locked out the Authorization--contact an Esri customer service rep or Esri Press support, they should be able to arrange a "rearm" of the trial/evaluation code, or issue a new one.  Then correctly activate it against a unique Esri global  user account--or have the CSR do it for you--and then use it to authorize the Single Seat as above.

Stuart

MarkHotz

Stuart:

Thanks for the detailed response...it is both appreciated and helpful.  I think you're absolutely right too...no need to install the ArcGIS License Manager.  I think the ESRI instructions will have to be rewritten though...those instructions stipulate that the first thing to download after your account has been activated is the ArcGIS License Manager.  But after I installed ArcGIS Desktop it prompted me to select a license and to authorize it too, and was always confused with the redundancy.

So I guess what we will do now is deauthorize the ArcGIS License through the License manager, then uninstall that application altogether, and then reauthorize the ArcGIS license using the ArcGIS Administrator application.  Hopefully that will clear up any issues that we have been experiencing.

Thanks again

0 Kudos