Serious Application Error

09-26-2015 07:07 AM
OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 and running ArcMap Desktop Single Use Advanced 10.3.1.  When opening Desktop, I now get a "serious application error notice".  I called tech support and they sent me to this document http://support.esri.com/es/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38394 but it was not helpful.  Has anyone else had luck solving this issue?

Please help!  I need to get some work done.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a machine available with either Windows 7 or 8 on it that ESRI supports, until ESRI has certified desktop on a Windows 10 OS?

0 Kudos
OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

I don't have a computer with Windows 8 or 7.  Is it Windows 10 that's the problem? 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Check out this thread:

Is Windows 10 certified with ArcGIS Products?

Some people have gotten it to install and work, but you will not get official support from ESRI to fix this issue at this time.  You would need to rely on other endusers responding to your initial post and trying out the ideas that they provide.  I have not attempted to install ArcGIS v10.3.1 on a Windows 10 machine myself.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

Here are some other suggestions gleaned from other resolutions for Application Errors when starting ArcGIS Desktop.  Change the version "10.1" to the applicable 10.x for your product.

Several steps, with increasing levels of intensity.

Delete your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcCatalog or ArcMap folder and try again.

If no joy there. Delete your entire %APPDATA%\ESRI folder.

If still no joy, delete the %APPDATA%\ESRI folder again. And open the Windows Registry with regedit.exe, navigate down to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog key and delete it.

And if still no joy.. delete your %APPDATA%\ESRI folder again. Then back into Windows Registry with regedit.exe, navigate down to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI key and delete it. 

All will be rebuilt with defaults.

OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

Thanks so much for you response, Laurene.  I'm still having no luck!

0 Kudos
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for your post. I have a few questions for you: I looked into your Support case and I can see you mention that you've been running Windows 10 for about a month--

1. Have you always received this serious application error since upgrading Windows? Or were you able to open ArcMap on your Windows 10 machine at some point?

2. Are you attempting to launch a specific MXD and receiving this error? Or does the error occur when attempting to launch any MXD (including blank MXDs)?

The crash still occurs after deauthorizing/ reauthorizing your license, is this correct?

Thanks!

Kirsten

0 Kudos
OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

Hi Kirsten,

I have been able to run Arc Desktop on 10 and when trying to adjust my licence I started receiving the Serious Application Error issue started.  The crash does occur after deauthorizing/reauthorizing a licence.  I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software.  I wasn't trying to launch a specific MXD I was just trying to open Arc.  

Olivia

0 Kudos
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Thanks for this info Olivia. In ArcGIS Administrator, if you click the Desktop folder, do you see an "Authorize Now" button or a "Repair" button? If you see the Repair option is available, clicking this button will launch the software repair wizard--Select the option to "repair over the internet." Attempt to launch ArcMap. Let me know if you have any trouble, or if the Repair option is not available. Thanks!

0 Kudos
OliviaBrown2
New Contributor

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks of these suggestions.  The "Repair button is not available.

Olivia

0 Kudos