misaligned menus and tips in ArcMap 10.6 (screen resolution issue?)

02-07-2018 03:28 PM
Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

I recently installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 (Windows 7, 64-bit) and it's working fine except it seems to be displaying a little funkily (see attached screenshot), which I think may have to do with the screen resolution?  My screen resolution is set at 1920 x 1080.

As you can see in the attached screenshot, when the ArcMap 10.6 window is maximized, it overfills the screen slightly.  Plus, the menu dropdowns appear misaligned with the respective menu items.  This isn't shown in the attached screenshot, but the hover tips in the table of contents also appear misaligned (e.g., fairly far above where they should be).

There are not similar issues with ArcCatalog, but AcrScene is doing the same wonky things as ArcMap.

Any ideas on what's going on here and how to resolve it will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There are a few long threads about similar things happening.  I found one where things were starting to have some solutions.  Might want to start https://community.esri.com/thread/164476#comment-656454 

On a personal level, for some reason, I have had multiple monitor/resolution, etc issues one different machines over the past couple months.  My theory, since it is more than one machine, is there was an OS, security or driver update pushed our from our network folks.  In trying to get it fixed, their canned answer has been....you have really old equipment.  yes, but it works (except for things like  the monitor issues I've had).  fwiw.

btw - you posted this in the Online area, you may want to move it to https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-for-desktop-installation-support  or similar area (I just tagged that group).

Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

Thanks for the prompt reply, Rebecca.  I tried the large icons thing, which didn't resolve the issue.  I'll see if there are any other good nuggets in that thread.  It's not an issue that makes the application(s) unworkable, it's just a little disorienting.  Fun with planned obsolescence  : )

I moved my question as you suggested... thanks for that too  : )

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Rebecca, but check your machine on the link

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/arcgis-desktop-system-requirements.htm#ESRI_...

If you just get an 'acceptable' and not a 'stellar'.. your machine, operating system may need a change.

Also,  the first thing you should do is check for updates for your video directly from the manufacturer and not rely on windows updates.

I don't suppose you can switch to Windows 10?  I understand that there is a lot of corporate attachment to windows 7, but if this is a personal machine, there will reach a point where newer software will just perform better on newer operating systems and hardware.

Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

Thanks for the prompt reply, Dan.

It is my personal laptop.  I resist upgrades as a matter of stubborn thrifty principle, but I suppose that stance may create issues like this   Maybe Windows 7 is just getting too far from 10.6?!  As far as I can tell, all my hardware meets the requirements for 10.6 tho...

0 Kudos