How to switch ArcGIS Desktop licenses between ArcINFO and ArcView versions, without giving users local admin privilages.

Jump to solution
10-13-2016 08:26 AM
jessegonzales
New Contributor

Easier way of doing this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

There are several  environment variables used by ArcGIS Desktop that when set override the settings in the registry (which are managed by ArcGIS Administrator). For this issue you need the ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS environment variable. Valid settings are Advanced, Editor, and Viewer.

In my case I just create a shortcut that points to a DOS Batch file that does the following:

_______

REM Setup Advanced license level prior to starting ArcMap
ECHO OFF
SET ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS=Advanced

IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (X86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin" GOTO TRYFAIL

SET THEVER="C:\Program Files (X86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin"

cd %THEVER%
ArcMap.exe
ECHO ON
EXIT

:TRYFAIL
ECHO ON
ECHO ArcMap not found, exiting...
PAUSE
EXIT

_________

Of course you would change the path above to match your current version of Desktop.

We do the same for ArcCatalog and ArcEditor licenses then build a package that adds these shortcuts to Start | All apps | ArcGIS. This allows us to install ArcGIS Desktop and the 'basic' level on all machines in the agency while allowing the end user to switch between license levels when needed.

Rich

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

There are several  environment variables used by ArcGIS Desktop that when set override the settings in the registry (which are managed by ArcGIS Administrator). For this issue you need the ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS environment variable. Valid settings are Advanced, Editor, and Viewer.

In my case I just create a shortcut that points to a DOS Batch file that does the following:

_______

REM Setup Advanced license level prior to starting ArcMap
ECHO OFF
SET ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS=Advanced

IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (X86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin" GOTO TRYFAIL

SET THEVER="C:\Program Files (X86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\bin"

cd %THEVER%
ArcMap.exe
ECHO ON
EXIT

:TRYFAIL
ECHO ON
ECHO ArcMap not found, exiting...
PAUSE
EXIT

_________

Of course you would change the path above to match your current version of Desktop.

We do the same for ArcCatalog and ArcEditor licenses then build a package that adds these shortcuts to Start | All apps | ArcGIS. This allows us to install ArcGIS Desktop and the 'basic' level on all machines in the agency while allowing the end user to switch between license levels when needed.

Rich

jessegonzales
New Contributor

Rich,

Thank you so much for this information, I really appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jesse