Select to view content in your preferred language

Hardware Requirements for ArcGIS Desktop

11-07-2018 08:58 AM
AlessandroFacci
New Contributor

Hi.

A friend of mine needs to perform the computation of a matrix of routes lengths trough the Network Analyst extension to ArcGIS Desktop. My estimate of the size of the matrix of source/destination points he will have to process is 1000000 x 15 (i.e. 15 million routes), but I guess there is no need for the inclusion of all the source points in a single batch.

He will be granted a licence for the ArcGIS Deskop software by his University, but he still needs to purchase the notebook to run it and we are wondering whether the required 2.2 GHz minimum CPU clock frequency stated by the official documentation is actually a must, independent on the number of cores, or a CPU with multiple cores, say 4, and 1.8 GHz might do (eg Intel i-78550U).

May I ask for advice on this point?

Thanks and regards.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

on that page...

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS pro 

That link does a diagnostic, BUT if possible you would have to go and test it there. The cpu speed is less critical compared to the other specs

0 Kudos
CodyMarsh
Occasional Contributor

Along the same lines of Dan's reply here is the link for the Can you run it tool for ArcMap: Can You Run It? 

Now concerning the clock speed of the CPU: Our documentation outlines the best practices to run our software. Simply put it is possible to run our software using the CPU that you described but if there are any issue with the software or the computing then Support would not be available to assist until we verify that the hardware is up to our best practices.

My own personal say: you will be fine with the Intel i-78550U since there is a max turbo frequency of 4 GHz. If you are running into compute issue with the base frequency then I would suggest overclocking the CPU and you should be fine.

0 Kudos