Georectifying a satellite image

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 02:31 PM
BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm downloading an image file from Africa .  I can unzip the file and pull the .tif into Arc, but what is the best way to georectify it?  There seem to be tif.aux and tif.ovr files as well.

thank you!

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The *.tiff files are ready to use in ArcMap.  I downloaded data for Ethiopia and the image data had a *.tif and *.tfw....the former is the image data and the latter is the world file.  Which area/country did you download the data for?  Note also, that at least for some countries the data are in both Geographic (longitude latitude) and projected coordinate (eg UTM)

You will have to use the Define Projection tool to get the images and the shapefiles to line up.  In my case the projected images for Ethiopia were in UTM zone 37 and the unprojected data are a GCS, presumably in WGS84 datums

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Here's some information to help get you started

Fundamentals of Georeferencing a dataset.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//009t000000mn000000

You can decide on whether to rectify it after georeferencing.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The *.tiff files are ready to use in ArcMap.  I downloaded data for Ethiopia and the image data had a *.tif and *.tfw....the former is the image data and the latter is the world file.  Which area/country did you download the data for?  Note also, that at least for some countries the data are in both Geographic (longitude latitude) and projected coordinate (eg UTM)

You will have to use the Define Projection tool to get the images and the shapefiles to line up.  In my case the projected images for Ethiopia were in UTM zone 37 and the unprojected data are a GCS, presumably in WGS84 datums

BrianKranick
New Contributor II

Thank you both again. Yes, "define projection" worked like a charm.  I'm working with data over Nigeria at the moment.  I just had to put it in WGS84.

0 Kudos