Cannot return borrow license

01-06-2020 09:52 PM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi All

One of our people borrowed (by mistake) two different licenses.

He first borrow a standard license and then borrowed Advanced license.

After we found about this we tried to returned both licenses.

We where able to return the last (Adv) license but we do not get option to return the first (Standard) license.

The license server still think it is borrowed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Mody,

I assume you are referring to ArcMap Concurrent Use licenses.  Let me know what product and license type if this is not the case.  If so, you mentioned you were able to return the Advanced (assuming ArcMap) license.  Go back to the ArcGIS Administrator and to the Desktop folder.  Switch the software product to Standard (ArcEditor) Concurrent Use.  Then go to the Borrow/Return folder.  It should display Desktop Standard feature.  Uncheck the borrowed license and then Apply to return it.  

If all licenses were already returned from the client side but the ArcGIS License Server Administrator indicate otherwise, you may choose to allow the borrowed licenses to expire.  By default, borrowed licenses were set to expire after 30 days.  Otherwise, you will need to contact Technical Support to address the issue.  

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Amony

After returning the last borrowed license the server still shows that the first license is borrowed but the checkbok in the ArcGIS administrator is not on so we can not return.

We tried to borrow again (same level) and return but the first borrow still does not exists.

The license server is configured for a full year

I am trying to work with support but no solution until now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Somehow the borrowed license on the client machine was likely deleted as a result of removing or renaming the trusted storage.  Basically there is no more license to return at this point.  Nothing further can be done from the client machine.  However, you will need to manually reset the borrowed license on the license manager.  There is no easy way to do this.  The process will require you to deauthorize all licenses except the Standard license since the license manager will not allow you to deauthorize features that have been borrowed.  Delete the trusted storage so the license manager can generate a new default one.  Then reauthorize all your licenses back.  As for the Standard license, all licenses were deleted along with the trusted storage.  You will have to go to MyEsri > Recover Lost Licenses to retrieve them.  Once activated, you can proceed to authorize them.  I suggest you make this request beforehand so there's no delay.  

If you have numerous licenses and can go without the one Standard license, the easier option is to allow the borrowed license to expire.  If this the not an option, please provide me the case number.  I can go over the process with the analyst working on your issue.