Arcmap 10.4 in Windows 7 64-bit

Jump to solution
02-28-2016 10:45 PM
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Hi,

Just recently upgraded ( without uninstalling 10.2 ) to 10.4 in my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit machine and starts throwing this error upon opening ArcCatalogue.

ErrMssg.JPG

It doesn't show with ArcMap.  Noticed some tools not working and so does searching.

Some issues with a 64-bit machine ?  .. Because a colleague installed 10.4 with a 32-bit machine with no issues.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Solution:  Go back to 10.2.2 , no issues at all.  The issue actually was from 10.3.1 ( 64-bit ).  I have 10.3.1 in my other 32-bit machine and everything is working fine.  In 10.3.1, it was worse.  Opening a tool just keeps on running until it finally crashes.  At least in 10.4, it opens but with blank window.

I have tried practically everything from the net , from this forum and from ESRI rep here to no avail.  Just wondering why 10.2.2 has no issues at all if it was something related to group policies implemented in our network.

Update: March 21, 2016:  No choice but to go for 10.4.  DC to our Database in an new sever ( Oracle-EXADATA ) crashes in 10.2.2.   Fortunately, was able to convince our IT to remove my machine from which other Internet Security is applied.  As in I read in other forums,  ArcGIS Tools are dependent on your IE settings.  Unfortunately there are settings that are controlled by our Sys Adm.  Tools working fine now 🙂

Thank you to all for the inputs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan.

The R6034 error was resolved as explained from the link you have provided. but the other issue was not.  It is similar with this 41057 - Tools open with blank dialog windows.

I have done as instructed the problem persists, i.e., it opens but with blank dialog.  All other buttons work.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you will need to open a bug report if that link didn't produce a solution, I am afraid

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Okay Dan,

Incidentally, I have removed all remnants of my ArcGIS ( 10.0, 10.2 and 10.3 ) from my file system and also from the registry to make a clean install.  This is after uninstalling 10.4 ( silent ).

Just one question.  The installation created two python subfolders under my python installation folder C:\python27, namely:

1. ArcGIS10.4

2. ArcGISx6410.4

The first one is meant for 32 bit machines while the second for 64 bit machines.  ( confirmed by running python.exe inside respective folders. )

However , running python command line inside ArcCatalogue/ArcMap still uses 32-bit version.  Is this okay ?

In the meantime, I will submit a bug report.

Thanks Dan.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

With or without the PYTHON variables defined, my ArcMap/ArcCatalogue opens.  But I tried it anyway.  The thing is, you have to point to the 32-bit version. ( C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.4 ) even if you have a 64-bit machine.  Pointing to the 64-bit version, python command line in ArcMap/ArcCatalogue will not work.  Being still a native 32-bit app, I think ArcMap/ArcCatalogue still uses Python 32-bit version.  Wonder what is the use of the Python 64-bit version. ( C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.4)

So far, I have done;

1.  Resetting ArcGIS Profile ( registry , file system )

2.  Define PYTHON variables ( PYTHONHOME, PYTHONPATH )

3.  Reset IE 11 default settings ( some setting controlled by sys adm )

4.  As defined in KB 41057

Just for added info.

1.  Recently installed some Windows Update ( no control on this... IT Policy)

2.  ArcGIS Pro 1.0 installed

3.  ArcGIS Earth installed

No success 😞

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Reginaldo Paderon

I find ArcGIS upgrades are kind of a crap shoot.  Bigger issue than a clean ArcGIS uninstall are what other extensions/programs from during your 10.2 use period were left behind with now broken hooks to ArcGIS.

If you are still getting the R6034 runtime error on launch of ArcGIS ArcMap or ArcCatalog it is likely a leftover from an earlier extension. It could be sitting on the %PATH% ahead of ArcGIS

You can tease out details of the Microsoft C Runtime DLLs running when ArcCatalog or ArcMap is active using the MS SysInternals-- Process Explorer​​ --utility. Load it and activate the Lower pane.  Then launch ArcGIS (catalog or map) and select that process. The associated DLLs will show in the lower pane. You'll be interested in the msvc[r|p] that are listed.

The errant version of the C Runtime msvcr[90|100|120].dll that is causing the R6034 error should show a path that is out of place (e.g. not in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, or C:\Program files (x86)\Esri)

You'll need to figure out what old junk is affecting the new ArcGIS 10.4 install and either rename it, or uninstall it, or adjust the %PATH% to get it later than the system calls that ArcGIS needs to launch.

That should get you going without having to reload the OS--but sometimes there is no substitute from a backup and a fresh OS install. Maybe time to start thinking about Windows 8.1 or 10.

Stuart

0 Kudos
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Stuart ...

R6034 error was the first issue that was resolved from the links provided by Dan Patterson.  The problem now is the blank window when opening tools.  Please refer from messages above of things  I have done. I feel the issue is from the fact that I have a 64-bit machine.  Python version could also be an issue.  Recent Windows update maybe a possible reason.

I have raised the issue with the ESRI rep here in Qatar.  Still waiting for reply at the moment.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I run a 64-bit machine and I have both python 2.7 and 3.4.1 installed because I have ArcGIS Pro installed as well.  My desktop shortcuts ensure that there is no cross-contamination between versions depending upon which version of python I launch.  in both cases, there is a reference to the ArcPy folder or a directive to it.

0 Kudos