ArcMAP 10.3.1 (Windows 7) no longer opens. Reaches "loading document" and then stops. No message.

Jump to solution
01-24-2016 01:33 PM
RichardMacNeill1
New Contributor II

Can anyone out there advise me please?

When I start ArcMAP 10.3.1 (running on Windows 7 professional) the startup sequence proceeds to the point where the application notes it is "loading document". It then stops with no message. This occurs also with the 3D analyst extension. ArcCatalog opens.

I have renamed the ESRI folder in the LocalApps folder, and the default.gdb, as advised, and have uninstalled and re-installed ArcGIS. However the problem persists.

The only event that occurred between me last using ArcMAP successfully and this problem was an installation of the most recent python and an unsuccessful installation of PyScripter (it also doesn't work). I have uninstalled both before re-installing ArcGIS. No success.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Richard MacNeill

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Richard MacNeill

There is a packaging issue with Python 2.7.11 -- uninstalling would not necessarily have reverted things.

Issue is fully described here:

45924 - ArcMap crashes during Loading Document launch stage

View solution in original post

4 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Richard MacNeill

There is a packaging issue with Python 2.7.11 -- uninstalling would not necessarily have reverted things.

Issue is fully described here:

45924 - ArcMap crashes during Loading Document launch stage

RichardMacNeill1
New Contributor II

Many thanks Stuart. Workaround 1 did the trick.

PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Many thanks Stuart,

I had already uninstalled python 2.7.11 without solving.

Then I used the Workaround 2 and it did its work!

0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I just wanted to add our experience in hopes someone will benefit.  I had this happend on one of my machines about a year ago, and we resolved (kinda forgot how we did it).  Unfortunately, it happened again on a completely different machine nad user.   It honestly feels like you are stumbling in the dark, and then viola the solution is fixed. 

Anyway here are our steps:

- Restarted Machine; FAILED

- Renamed Normal.mxt in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop\ArcMap\Templates; FAILED

- Renamed ArcGIS folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents; FAILED

- Renamed ESRI folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents; FAILED

- Ran Repair on the software; FAILED

- Uninstalled/Reinstalled; FAILED

- Restarted; Failed

- Deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ Arcmap; FAILED  - Maybe a restart here (didn't try)

- Deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI; FAILED  - Maybe a restart here (didn't try)

- Renamed python 2.7 to python "2.7-32" in regedit.exe > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > WOW 6432 > Python Python Core; FAILED, Changed back to 2.7  - Maybe a restart here (didn't try)
- We checked and found only MSXML 4.0 SP 2 installed in the machine.
- Installed MSXML 4.0 SP 3; FAILED

- restarted machine, ArcMap launched....

-  However, ArcMap had components that were not firing correctly.  Ex.  An mxd would open with no TOC when we try to show the TOC ArcMap crashed.  Also Catalog didn't open. Major problems, might be with the ESRI Key we removed.   

-  Final step, we issued a repair on the ArcGIS for Desktop application in the Add/Delete Programs and now everything is working. 

I would start with the first 3 steps because this has happened before with a corrupt default.gdb, and sometimes this will resolve.

It is easy to think the MSXML SP 3 made it work after the restart, but I just looked on two other machines and SP 2 is installed yet ArcMap is working fine on both. 

I think the restart  in combination with the key edits did the trick.  However, that messed something up because we had to issue a repair on the software.   I would try to restart after renaming the ArcMap key and see if that resolves. 

Good Luck.

0 Kudos