Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcgis has stopped working........... install

08-04-2017 10:35 PM
JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

I've seen some people with issues where the program stops working and gets the 'arcgis has stopped working' prompt. I'm in a different boat. I just purchased the personal edition and I'm looking to install it on this computer. I'm working towards my certification so I've already had the program installed on a different computer. However, I wanted to install this new license on my desktop PC. When I go to run the .exe of Arcgis Desktop 10.5.1 it immediately returns the prompt "Arcgis desktop has stopped running". I am running Windows 8.1, have 8GB of RAM, 4.6 GHz, GTX 1060 video card with the latest driver. I have tried to run the exe file as administrator, I have tried to run the compatibility mode. I have tried to run it with the firewall turned off and I tried to install it to a different drive. I have even tried to run several other exe files with the same results. At this point I am out of ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance! 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ha...guess you can't edit comments on discussions...or it wouldn't let me today anyway.

i did do a couple searches, but most are pretty old (couples years anyway).  I saw one about an itune update that caused issues, and another talking about the UAC and adjusting the settings.  I then searched on "Windows 8.1 UAC" and was seeing more that might help, including this one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/uac-in-windows-81/83392717-fbf...   

It it might not be the same, but it sounds like others have had similar (not necessarily arcgis) install issues, even with running as administrator or compatible. Personally, I would upgrade to win 10 too, but realize, that is not always an option.  At work, we still use win7.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Its a question now...

JeremyJarosz
Deactivated User

Well, I'm not sure what the issue was. But I did a system restore back 6 weeks and everything is installing fine. Could have been a corrupt registry entry. A system restore is probably something I should have tried before even starting this thread. It usually solves most problems. I'd like to thank everybody who took the time to try and help. 

My next question is perhaps doing a clean install because there wasn't much on the comp to begin with. I went back six weeks, to the point where I need to set everything back up the way I had it so it might not be a bad idea to do have a clean slate. A clean install is always a good thing. 

Thanks again everybody! Hopefully I can move forward enough with this program and GIS in general to where I can assist others.