10.4 and Database Views

Jump to solution
04-07-2016 08:20 AM
JamesCueno
New Contributor III

This is awkward...  I've got several database views in my Enterprise Geodatabase that I cannot see from my new Desktop 10.4 installation.  The 10.3.1 on the desk next to me sees them just fine, as do the 10.1s in another department.

There's still the option to create views, but they are never displayed.  Clearly I'm missing a setting somewhere, but what?  I can't find any such mention in the documentation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What version is the Enterprise Geodatabase? (Example: sde 9.3.1 SP2 gdb / sde 10.3.1 gdb)

Also what is the complete version of DBMS being used (Example: SQL Server 2012 or Oracle 11.2.0.4)

Another thread on similar lines:

Can't see SQL table views in 10.3 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ChristopherThomas
New Contributor III

James,

There shouldn't be anything special you need to do differently at 10.4. Are you able to access other data in that enterprise GDB? Is it just the certain views that are not accessible?

The first thing I usually check when one machine cannot see data that another machine can is to check the privileges. Are you  using OS or Database Authentication to access the data?

If you are using OS authentication are you able to logon to your colleague's machine and access the view with 10.3.1 with your login?

If you are using database authentication, are you connecting as that same user from the different machines?

Chris

0 Kudos
JamesCueno
New Contributor III

I figured there wouldn't be a difference, that's why I'm so confused.  Everything else in the database is showing - SDE feature classes, SDE tables, Mosaics, SDE Raster catalogs, locators, SDE relationship classes, feature datasets, geometric networks...

I'm using connections that use both OS and Database Authentication and neither one of those work.  I'm the only one in the enterprise that can use OS Authentication, so I can't test against that, but the Database Authentication is read-only and we all use the same credentials.  Again, the confusing part, because everyone else (10.3.1 and 10.1 users) can see the views.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Adding some more groups for better visibility.....

GeodatabaseManaging Data

--- George T.
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What version is the Enterprise Geodatabase? (Example: sde 9.3.1 SP2 gdb / sde 10.3.1 gdb)

Also what is the complete version of DBMS being used (Example: SQL Server 2012 or Oracle 11.2.0.4)

Another thread on similar lines:

Can't see SQL table views in 10.3 

JamesCueno
New Contributor III

That's it.  The geodatabase is 10.1 (which should fly with Desktop 10.4), but the SQL Server is 2008  (Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.4—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ).

Hadn't expected to worry about the server version, now I need to decide if I'm rolling back, leaving one of the 10.3.1s around or lobbying to upgrade the SQL.....

Good catch, thanks

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

See this KB article about ArcGIS 10.4 and SQL Server 2008 (which is not a supported configuration)

46427 - After upgrading to ArcGIS 10.4 for Server, existing services that use data in geodatabases i...

--- George T.
ChristopherThomas
New Contributor III

Good to know! I'm running 2014 and 2012 on my machines here so I had not run into that.

0 Kudos