Raster Calculator (cosine function)

09-16-2016 10:57 PM
LanoYado
New Contributor III

Hello, I am using the tool "raster calculator" using cosine function for one of my raster layers (created from degree format of angle) and I was wondering when I use cosine function on this layer, should I multiply the angle by the transformation (pi/180) inside the function? Should I use cos(name-of-the-raster X pi/180) or just use cos(name-of-the-raster)?. As I said, the layer to be used for this function was created using degree format of angle.

Please advice, any example or link would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The documentation on functions are within the help...

Cos—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

The input values for this tool are interpreted to be in radians. If the input you wish to use is in degrees, the values must first be divided by the radians-to-degrees conversion factor of 180/pi, or approximately 57.296.

and with illustrations

Converting inputs from degrees to radians for Trigonometric tools—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS  you might consider using Spatial Analyst‌ when asking questions directly related to rasters... alternatives would be 3D‌, or Spatial Statistics‌ when there is cross-over or commonality

The problem with posting in https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-desktop-deutschland?sr=search&searchId=5ec6efd4-8eb6-44ed-9...‌ is that the owner of the group hasn't visited since August 2014 and it only has 28 posts.  This leaves your posts stranded on a shelf without being able to be moved, except by you, to a Place or Space that has a wider audience.

timothy_hales-esristaff‌ perhaps flag this space as a candidate if GeoNet is going to be consolidating or house-cleaning 

LanoYado
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan, your replies were always so useful to me. Appreciate it.

0 Kudos