New features created for Hydro Area feature class in EGB?

Jump to solution
06-18-2023 11:13 PM
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

I want to ask if anyone knows why the Hydro Area feature class got new features after running Generate Product Layout GP tool or Cartogrpahy-Automated workflow.

Initially, the Hydrography surface feature class did not have features in the specified area since there are islands covered by the Physiography surface feature class. 

hm_stella_0-1687154884264.jpeg

(I just turned on the hydrographysurfaces - withoutOutlines feature layer to show that there are no river subtype features.)

However, those empty areas turned into the EGB_HYDRO_A features when I ran the GPL tool or Cartography-Automated workflow through the workflow manager, and displayed like the picture.

hm_stella_1-1687155048746.jpeg

I want to keep those areas empty so that they can show the white background. What shall I do to fix this? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GCRice
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @hm_stella, yes you are correct. The processes running in MPS are the same as Generate Product Layout. Any change we make will be included in both. For now, you'll have to make these updates manually in the Pro project or layout that comes from MPS, then export to PDF for these sheets with large/important islands. In the TM50 specification, only islands >=25m wide should exist in the EGB. (though this is only a suggestion)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GCRice
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

I am able to reproduce what you are seeing. The TM and MTM specifications say that islands of a certain size should remain in the output, not be filled by EGB_HYDRO_A features like we see here. The Production Mapping team will evaluate this as a potential change needed to the tool. 

For now, the easiest workaround is to manually delete these island features from EGB_HYDRO_A when revising the product in ArcGIS Pro (in the Carto - Revise workflow Open Layout step if using the production workflows).

0 Kudos
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi @GCRice !

Thanks for the reply. And I want to check in terms of MPS as well.

From what you've mentioned, I can modify the product in EPM as a revised work, right? Then, what about the MPS? I think I would have the same issue as long as MPS uses the GPL to create a map. Does it?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
GCRice
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @hm_stella, yes you are correct. The processes running in MPS are the same as Generate Product Layout. Any change we make will be included in both. For now, you'll have to make these updates manually in the Pro project or layout that comes from MPS, then export to PDF for these sheets with large/important islands. In the TM50 specification, only islands >=25m wide should exist in the EGB. (though this is only a suggestion)

0 Kudos
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
George_Kliorikaitis
Esri Contributor

Hi @hm_stella ,

I work with @GCRice as a Product Engineer on the ArcGIS Production Mapping and ArcGIS Defense Mapping extensions. I want to add on to the answer that @GCRice provided and let you know that we have a fix for the issue you reported in the ArcGIS Pro 3.2 release.

Thanks!

George

hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Appreciate @George_Kliorikaitis !

0 Kudos