Invalid Cell Size (Error 999999) in Generate Topographic Contours tool

03-25-2020 11:07 AM
TroySaltiel
New Contributor

I'm getting a 999999 error when running the 'Generate Topographic Contours' tool (ArcGIS Pro 2.4).

My original data are 6 DTED1 elevation rasters. After the first error, I checked the cell size, and for all rasters, they are 0.0008333333 for both X and Y. I also tried exporting these to new .tif files, and as a new mosaic dataset, but I still get the same error.

I was originally attempting to use the Production Contouring workflow (ArcMap 10.7), but the Filter/Merge tool was failing immediately.

Any ideas?

Below is the error message:

Running script Generate Topographic Contours...
Creating buffered Area of Interest
Creating smooth contour raster
There was an error on line line 394 of GenerateTopographicContours.py

ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
Invalid cell size
Failed to execute (GenerateRasterFromRasterFunction).
Completed script Generate Topographic Contours...
Failed to execute (GenerateTopographicContours).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your posting and for bringing this issue to our attention.

I have executed Generate Topographic Contours using ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and 2.4.3. I did not encounter any issues.

My parameter values are below:

Input Rasters: E074N51.DT1;E074N50.DT1;E073N51.DT1;E073N50.DT1;E072N51.DT1;E072N50.DT1
Area of Interest: JOG_Index
Target Contour Features: C:\TDS_7.gdb\TDS_CARTO\HypsographyCrv
Contour Elevation Field: ZVH
Contour Subtype: ELEVATION_CONTOUR_C
Map Scale: 1:250,000
Resample Raster: RESAMPLE_RASTER
Contour Interval: 330
Base Contour:: 0
Z Factor: 3.28084
Include Zero Contour: NO_ZERO_CONTOUR
Contour Code Field: HQC
Contour Index Interval: 1650
Index Code: 1
Intermediate Code: 2
Depression Code: 5
Depression Intermediate Code: 6
Raster Smooth Tolerance: 0.6
Contour Minimum Length: 1000 Feet
Contour Smooth Tolerance: 500 Feet

Please answer the following:

1. Can you provide your six DTED1?

2. Can you identify which AOI you selected? If you created a custom AOI, can you provide the custom AOI?

3. Can you please provide the parameters that you entered for the Generate Topographic Contours GP tool?

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
TroySaltiel
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

I was able to work around this error by generating a mosaic, running the contour tool, and the identify contour tool.

However, I am now having problems generating spot heights, both through ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and ArcMap 10.7. If this now falls under Production Mapping, please let me know.

In ArcMap 10.7, the Create Low and High Spots tool fails consistently after about 2 minutes. The Area of Interest are selected JOG tiles and the input raster is the mosaic created in ArcPro. The Spot Height Features is the ElevP feature class from the Defense Mapping VMAP schema. The error message says that there are no statistics available for the raster, however the error persists after following the instructions to calculate statistics (using ArcCatalog). 

Error Message:

--

Running script CreateLowAndHighSpots...
Geoprocessing error on line 148 of CreateLowHighSpots.py :

ERROR 001100: Failed because no statistics are available.
Failed to execute (GetRasterProperties).

Completed script CreateLowAndHighSpots...
Failed to execute (CreateLowAndHighSpots).
Failed at Fri Apr 3 12:29:43 2020 (Elapsed Time: 2 minutes 30 seconds)

--

When I try to complete the entire workflow through ArcMap 10.7, the Merge and Filter DEMS tool fails immediately upon running. I am using the same 6 DTED1 rasters as in my initial issue. The workspace I used was the same as the source data (where the DTEDs were stored), Apply Focal Minority set to on, and Number of Times to Apply Focal Means to 1.

In ArcGIS Pro 2.4, I attempted the Generate Spot Heights tool using the contour created by the Contour tool, a mosaic of the 6 DTEDs from the Mosaic tool, and the ElevP feature class from VMAP1JOG schema (from Esri Defense Mapping). I entered the Contour and Spot Height Fields as 'zv2', the Spot Height subtype as the default from the Defense Mapping VMAP schema, and for the Area of Interest, I've tried selecting a single polygon that is the extent of the DEM raster, as well as a selection of the JOG and TLM tiles that have elevation change. The tool always hangs at 1% completion. The tool did produce 3 spot heights before I had to force close ArcPro, but is very likely incomplete.

Is there a way to can personally share the data with you? I could not find a private message option in the Esri community. 

Thank you,

Troy Saltiel

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Troy,

Thank you for responding. There is a way for me to direct message through GeoNET and I did that about 10 minutes ago. I provided my email address. Please let me know if you did not receive the direct message.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos