Select to view content in your preferred language

When to use Validation Rules vs when to use Data Reviewer

11-22-2021 08:53 AM
KimG
by
New Contributor

We are migrating an ArcMap based data entry process to ArcGIS Pro (currently 2.9.0).  In the ArcMap world the process we are migrating used a customized ArcObjects based extension to populate attribute values during editing and Data Reviewer to ensure data quality.  We have now transitioned to Attribute Rules (Calculation and Constrain rules written in Arcade) to replace the ArcObjects extension, but when it comes to Data Reviewer I'm a little confused.  I see that Attribute Rules allow for the creation of Validation rules, but I also know that Data Reviewer is still around in ArcGIS Pro.  When would it appropriate to use Arcade Validation rules and when would it be preferable to use Data Reviewer, or should I use both.  I'm having a hard time finding documentation on the web.  We are also introducing Workflow Manager into the mix (if that effects the answer).  Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

We are preparing to migrate from an ArcMap Data Reviewer environment as well - it's a bit dizzying isn't it?

My understanding is that how your data is stored may have some limitations.  If you are continuing to use traditional versioning in an enterprise geodatabase, then you will not be able to build Arcade based validation rules (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-reviewer/data-management/migrating-to-attributes-rule...)  You can still use the .RBJs authored in ArcMap if you need validation rules.  All indications are that there is no plan to allow creation/update of .RBJs in ArcGIS Pro so that is a consideration.  As part our transition, we hope to get the go-ahead on branch versioning and leave the .RBJs behind.  We don't use file GDBs for our editing environment so I have no idea what they do and do not support.

KumarGaurav_Esri
New Contributor II

Hi Steven,

Currently, Attribute Rules are only supported on Branch versioned enterprise environment and we encourage all our users to start exploring Attribute rule in their workflows. Data Reviewer team is working hard to make this transition easy, you may expect some new tools in future releases which will help you migrate from Batch job to Attribute Rules.

Please refer to the Data Reviewer Check poster link to get a better idea of which checks are supported in Geodatabase:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/validating-data/pdf/data-reviewer-poster.pdf

Regards,

Kumar Gaurav

KumarGaurav_Esri
New Contributor II

Hi Kim,

You can use both Arcade Validation rules and Data Reviewer Validation rules together but there are few things you need to consider before making this decision:

With Data Reviewer Validation rules:
1. You can configure your rule using predefined check parameters in check UI
2. Data Reviewer team manage the Data Reviewer Validation rule performance
3. Data Reviewer provide result life cycle management options in error inspector

With Arcade validation rule:
1. You need to write the Arcade script for your logic
2. You are responsible to manage that script
3. You need to monitor and maintain latest performance improvements in your script with new releases.
4. Arcade Validation rule results are removed once error is fixed, no lifecycle management option.

Please refer to this video for more details, around 5 mins mark, Kaleb explained benefits of using Data Reviewer rules.

ArcGIS Data Reviewer: Automate, Simplify, and Improve How You Manage Data Quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsaYAmuBXE

Thanks,
Kumar

Understand why quality plays a key role in every organization that uses GIS. Learn how to use ArcGIS Data Reviewer to improve data quality and reduce management costs. This session will focus on how to implement automated data validation using configurable checks in Attribute rules. We'll also ...