Python Exception <ImportError>: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

This is the first time attempting to automate an FME flow on a server.
I didn't want to create the flow on my laptop and then have to move it and the web connection to the server - so i just opened FME workbench on the Server, while logged in as the ArcGIS Server account - and built it.  (This is on a server with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.3 installed, along with Data Interoperability).

I could build the process, which includes grabbing GeoJSON from a URL and then pushing the results to an ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Service with an Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service writer.  But, when trying to write to ArcGIS Online, I get the following error:

Message Type: fme::internal::_v0::py::Exception
Python Exception <ImportError>: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.

I have spent hours looking for an answer to this in both FME and Esri communities - and then just took the workbook to my laptop - plopped it in FME there - replaced the web connection...
and it worked with no issue.

Has anyone else overcome this issue?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're creating a workspace on an ArcGIS Enterprise server using fmeworkbench.exe to open Workbench and you are logged in as the arcgis service owner account it should work.  You will need to set your FME Options translation Python interpreter to the ArcGIS option (3.9+?) and make sure your workspace also uses the same interpreter.  Now for where I'm confused, when I have built a workspace on a server and want to automate it I run it and grab the Python command from the log an use Windows task Scheduler, which circumvents ArcGIS Server but does work.  How to use FME Flow on the same machine I have no idea!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimF
by
New Contributor III

This sounds like an FME python environment error, so you'll likely get more help over on the Safe boards. I dug this out, in case it helps: https://community.safe.com/security-15/ssl-error-on-fme-server-but-desktop-is-fine-22501

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor
Yea - thank you. I have seen this, and checked the registry keys...
To find nothing like it mentioned. Maybe missing. Thank you. I'll try over there!
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're creating a workspace on an ArcGIS Enterprise server using fmeworkbench.exe to open Workbench and you are logged in as the arcgis service owner account it should work.  You will need to set your FME Options translation Python interpreter to the ArcGIS option (3.9+?) and make sure your workspace also uses the same interpreter.  Now for where I'm confused, when I have built a workspace on a server and want to automate it I run it and grab the Python command from the log an use Windows task Scheduler, which circumvents ArcGIS Server but does work.  How to use FME Flow on the same machine I have no idea!

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

@BruceHarold wrote:

If you're creating a workspace on an ArcGIS Enterprise server using fmeworkbench.exe to open Workbench and you are logged in as the arcgis service owner account it should work.  You will need to set your FME Options translation Python interpreter to the ArcGIS option (3.9+?) and make sure your workspace also uses the same interpreter.

Good Morning @BruceHarold !
I did not find the "Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9+" interpreter in the FME Options - Translation - Python Interpreter tab.  It was in the workspace Tool Parameters - Scripting - Python Compatibility selection though.

AdamRepsher_BentEar_0-1717686463063.png

AdamRepsher_BentEar_1-1717686722075.png

I just selected the plain "Python 3.9+" for both, and I was able to run the entire workspace!  Thank you!

I believe that I would need to investigate the lack of the Esri choice for other transformers that I might want to use in the future.

Now for where I'm confused, when I have built a workspace on a server and want to automate it I run it and grab the Python command from the log an use Windows task Scheduler, which circumvents ArcGIS Server but does work.  How to use FME Flow on the same machine I have no idea!

First - your last statement...
"How to use FME Flow on the same machine I have no idea!"
Assuming you mean FME Flow - as in the new term for "FME Server" - I didn't think that the Esri Data Interoperability Extension for Server had the FME Flow (the actual GUI via website) software.  If it is in the Esri software install somewhere, I'd like to know!!!

At the moment, I am just wanting to automate a workspace through the Esri extension - and am following this instruction:  Schedule Spatial ETL tools on a server—ArcGIS Data Interoperability | Documentation for ArcGIS Enter...

...for your comment: "which circumvents ArcGIS Server but does work."
Maybe you are thinking of this?:  Share Spatial ETL tools—ArcGIS Data Interoperability | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise
I will be trying that later.

I am about to try the automation through the Windows Task Scheduler.  I'll let you know how I make out.

--Adam

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello again Adam

Luckily selecting a 3.9+ vanilla interpreter finds the ArcGIS one, quite frankly I forget the logic under the covers but anyway you're making progress.

Safe's FME Flow software is definitely not installed by Data Interoperability.

Automation of the fmw via Task Scheduler should work.  To make it easier it can be useful to uncheck the publication of input parameters so they don't have to be supplied on the Python command being run.  Automations typically connect to internet data sources anyway so it's the data that changes, not the source.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @BruceHarold !

Now - I can't get past this....

AdamRepsher_BentEar_0-1717693160759.png

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah, well that's one for your system administrator!  I guess your account will need some tweaking.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

That's me!

0 Kudos