Select to view content in your preferred language

Spontaneous Feature Layer Disconnection from Dashboard

04-20-2023 08:39 AM
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

I am getting an error in some dashboards that indicates the panel cannot read data from a layer. This layer is fine, still exists, has not been deleted or altered for several months. It can be reconnected and reconfigured, but can anyone explain why this happened? This layer is in several dashboards, all of which were perfectly functional when configured and neither the dashboards nor the layer have been altered, edited, overwritten or changed. 

Any help preventing this from happening again. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

RandyMcGregor3_0-1682004952226.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RaymondHuang_Sg
New Contributor III

Since you did not mention that the dashboard app asks the user for additional authentication to access those layers in question, I guess it is less of access rights issue, but perhaps a broken reference. There are many ways a layer could have been added into a dashboard or rather the webmap that the dashboard is based on, so I suggest you check if the behavior is the same with the webmap.

Perhaps it could be due to the layer in the webmap is being referenced with its portal item id instead of the specific URL to the layer. When you indicated that the layer is fine and still exists, you could be directly accessing it via the URL instead of via the portal item that references it. 

Let us know if the above helps to point you in the right direction or if you need more suggestions.

Cheers,
Raymond
0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

Thank you for the response. The layer is accessed directly - It is not being accessed from within a map.

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

Another layer that is having trouble remains fine in the web map that it is featured in. In the dashboard that uses it, it is not loaded from a map, but directly.

0 Kudos
RaymondHuang_Sg
New Contributor III

Could you share a screenshot (or just the non-sensitive details) of the browser's Developer's Tool (ctrl+shift+i)'s Network tab? Would like to better understand which network request calls did not make it through.

Cheers,
Raymond
RandyMcGregor3

Thank you, but I'm reluctant to risk giving away client information.

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

I do have more than one AGOL account. I own the content. Could conflicts be introduced as the result of this?

0 Kudos
ScottBrown1
New Contributor III

Have you tried a different internet browser? I’ve had some issues like this that had something to do with cache and cookies for unknown reasons. 

RandyMcGregor3

Thanks for the suggestion. It was worth a try, but alas, same issue on Edge (Normally use Chrome). I have re-stitched the broken content (just re added exact same layer and unfortunately had to redo a lot of the configuring - much is lost when a connection breaks in a dashboard!). At this point, I am just eager to know what happened, because it will be a public facing product and this just can't happen.

0 Kudos