Slow loading layer in Operations Dashboard

07-15-2019 09:28 AM
Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

I added a new layer to my Operations Dashboard, and now its loading REALLY slowly- and I've had some complaints from viewers.  The new layer has over 27,000 records.  So I'm wondering how much is too much as far as loading data onto web apps? Or maybe the slowness has something to do with the queries I have?  Any suggestions? 

14 Replies
JohnBrockwell
Occasional Contributor III

Where is it coming from? SDE or hosted feature service? I'm assuming you tried to republish. Point or Polygon dataset?

Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

It's a point dataset, and it's a hosted feature service. 

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

27,000 point features isn't a problem. Sometimes republishing a service solves issues in ways I just can't explain. Re-publish is a common workflow to use when you can't identify the issue. Sometimes it just fixes the underlying issue.

Also, consider modifying your visible extent sometimes. I doubt anyone can make sense of 27,000 features on a single map.

Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

To republish- would I need to "Overwrite an Existing Service", this is what I'm thinking I would need to do- but I always get a warning message "If you overwrite this service you will lose access to the associated feature service data, including any changes that were made to the data after the service was initially published. It may affect existing clients using this service such as changing the layer order or modifying the available fields.  Are you sure you want to continue?" 

Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

and no, I didn't try to republish.  Why would republishing the service help?  ...and thanks for responding!

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Yes, that is true. Are you modifying this data? If it is just the beginning of its usage than I don't foresee any problems. Please like or mark my comments helpful. Thanks.

Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

Great info!  Thanks John!!

JohnStowell
New Contributor III

In case you didn't get this resolved, some other quick fixes for hosted layers that I have had success with:

- Clearing the browser cache (sometimes the issue is just on my end)

- Rebuild the spatial index (under item description > settings > rebuild indexes)

- Enable CDN / cache control if being publicly shared (under item description > settings > cache control)

Cheers, John

Babcock_Kristen_L
New Contributor III

Thanks John, I haven't had time to check these options out- but they sound great and I'm going to try them out.  Thanks again.