How to get Symbology of a layer to change when you filter dashboard

01-12-2022 08:49 AM
AshleighReeves
New Contributor III

I have a dashboard with various county geographies. The symbology is set for the entire region. When I click the filter, for example Cheatham County, I want the symbology "breaks" to redistribute to get the relative symbology for just that county. Has anyone had success doing that?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ashleigh,

This sounds like a fun project to tackle. Can you share a link to your dashboard?

I do not know how to do this the way you are thinking (and not sure it can be done out of the box).

However, the way I would do it would be like this. Have a map with the top layer as the whole region symbolized the way you want. Then have a list element with each county listed. When the user clicks on that county then have the map be filtered to just show that county. On the map, each county could be under the region and symbolized appropriately. 

That all may not work just like that without some tweaking but that would be my thought process on it. But I'm curious to hear what others think.

0 Kudos
AshleighReeves
New Contributor III
Hi! Thank you for being so willing to help! That is amazing. I didn't think of the list idea. I've honestly just started learning this process a week or so ago. The link below is to our dashboard. Mind you it's still in draft format. Thank you for the help!
https://gnrc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/1b5066db555b4f0fbd02b81e749636fc
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow that is an amazing looking dashboard! Great colors and symbols (plus awesome filtering). It looks like your "County" element at the top right is a list element and I wonder if you could just add the rest of the counties (which might be adding like 14 more layers, or some other more intuitive way), but that is what I would do to play around with it.

0 Kudos
AshleighReeves
New Contributor III

The issue I have with that method is it doesn't really translate to my population category filters. I will continue trying!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, that is a problem and something I have struggled with too, regarding dashboard functionality. I have used embedded elements with tabs to try and get around this issue but the tabs do not switch automatically when I want them to.

0 Kudos