Select to view content in your preferred language

Heat map style will not update based on date selector

Jump to solution
02-07-2018 08:01 PM
GraemeHill
Occasional Contributor

My operations dashboard on ArcGIS online has a map with records shown as both a point and a heat map, when using the date selector with associated action filters the point layer will update however the heat map does not.

Below is a screen shot of web map from the dashboard which shows the heat map layer and the point layer, the heat map is reflecting all records in the layer but the point layer (3 green dots in centre) is filtering correctly via date selector actions. So why doesn't the heat map get regenerated based on the filtered records? The heat map is purely a style setting in the web map not a pre generated static density analysis output. All maps and content are stored on ArcGIS online with appropriate sharing rights. Zooming in/out forcing a refresh does not work.

My actions specified in the date selector tool - the 'Job Points layer' updates but the 'Job Heat Map' does not.

I thought a heat map would be popular to show on a dashboard but without the ability to filter records makes it almost useless. Any ideas?  I am aware that I can do a 'static' pre set filter in the web map settings but it will not match the dates chosen for the dashboard making it confusing to viewers.

Cheers,

Graeme

41 Replies
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

Got it thanks!!

0 Kudos
Matt_L
by
Emerging Contributor

In my dashboard, when I apply a date filter the heat map does filter/update, but does not dynamically regenerate with the updated data ranges. For instance, I have 3 years worth of data 40,000 records for 2021, 40,000 records for 2022, and only 3,000 for 2023 (4 months of data). When I filter for just 2023 my heat map layer virtually disappears because of the low count of records. How can the heat map dynamically re-render based on the filtered down count of records?

0 Kudos
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

For your date range category selector you should add an action item for the heat map and then choose the year as Target/Source field.

0 Kudos
Matt_L
by
Emerging Contributor

I have the filter action item set to the Heat Map layer and using Year as the Target/Source field, and it does not work as I expect. I have included 2 images for reference. The 'Heat Map - All Data' shows what the heat map looks like with all the data and no filtering. The 'Heat Map - Only 2023 Data' shows what the heat map looks like when applying a filter for only 2023. What I am hoping to accomplish, is to have the heat map regenerate to look similar to the heat map with all the data, but with only the 2023 data i.e. regenerate with the new min/max count of records.

0 Kudos
aam
by
Frequent Contributor

Are you using ArcGIS Online or Portal for your web map?

0 Kudos
Matt_L
by
Emerging Contributor

ArcGIS online, latest web map viewer. Unfortunately, I can't share the feature layer for testing.

0 Kudos
Luiz_RobertoArueira_da_Silva
Occasional Contributor

Hy!
Can you tell me if this is available for Enterprise 10.9.1? I'm trying and I'm not getting the expected results.

thanks.

0 Kudos
FelipeDias
Emerging Contributor

According to this page, the bug was fixed on version 10.2. However, even though my Dashboard is hosted on an Enterprise Server that's been updated to version is 10.9.1 (see image below), the bug still persists! Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening?

FelipeDias_0-1676413136702.png

EricKriener
Frequent Contributor

because the bug happened in 10.9 and isn't fixed until 11?

Look at the dates in your link...not sure who put the versions in, but they had more than a three martini lunch.

Version found should prob be 10.9.1

arc_ticodex
Regular Contributor

Hi @FelipeDias and @EricKriener!

That's right! The version found should be 10.9.1 and fixed 11. 

My Enterprise is 1.9.1 and the bug is still on, but in my ArcGIS Online it's fixed!

😞

0 Kudos