Filter Map based on Pie Chart Action

Jump to solution
02-24-2020 10:04 AM
RobertFord
New Contributor III

Hello!

I am attempting to have a map in Operations Dashboard that contains a heat map and clustered points map update upon selection from a pie chart.

When I go to the Actions settings for the pie chart, I do not see my map layers listed. Has anyone else ran into this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

If the web map has both the clustered events and events 2019 as separate layers, then it sounds like the pie chart is configured with the Events 2019 layer not the Clustered Events layer. Try creating a new pie chart using the data from the Clustered Events layer, then when you go to Add Target it should only show the Clustered Events layer.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JeanineEGS
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rob

To use actions the layer needs to be a feature layer! There is away around this to use a map layer you need to add the map layer to the map by selecting add - 'add layer from web' and using the url of your layers map service although you will need to test functionality.

RobertFord
New Contributor III

Hi Shaun!

Thanks for the reply! So I would need to somehow make the cluster layer and heat map layer their own feature service layer? I should mention these are based off a point feature layer already and are displayed using Smart Mapping.

0 Kudos
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

No you don't have to create a feature service for a cluster layer. I created a clustered layer while in ArcOnline and was able to filter the cluster in Operations Dashboard. I haven't worked with heat map, but I would assume it would work.

0 Kudos
RobertFord
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael.

I am using the Cluster Points Web Map feature (Configure clustering—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation) on an existing hosted point feature layer. This Web Map is used in my Operations Dashboard and I would like this to be updated based on a selection from a chart.

Are you saying you see your clustered layer in Actions ---> Add Target? In my screenshot below, only my original point layer shows up from my map and I have added it (Events 2019) but it no longer shows the "Add Target" button indicating that my clustered layer (which is definitely on the Web Map) is not available to be used.

0 Kudos
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

When I go to Action --> Add Target within the pie chart, I only see my original point layer. I choose that layer to filter and the clusters filter for me. Even though you clustered your original point layer, the Events 2019 layer is all you need to select when trying to filter by selection on the pie chart.

0 Kudos
RobertFord
New Contributor III

Hmmm....I must be missing something. I see my "Clustered Events" layer and my "Events 2019" layer in my Web Map on the dashboard but when I got to Add Target for the pie chart, it only shows my "Events 2019" layer.

0 Kudos
michael_vetter
Occasional Contributor

If the web map has both the clustered events and events 2019 as separate layers, then it sounds like the pie chart is configured with the Events 2019 layer not the Clustered Events layer. Try creating a new pie chart using the data from the Clustered Events layer, then when you go to Add Target it should only show the Clustered Events layer.

RobertFord
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael!

That was it! I guess I didn't realize that each dashboard element you create can only reference one layer at a time from the Web Map.

Unfortunately, this introduces other issues. I want the pie chart to filter both layers. I have the "Clustered Events" layer show as the user zooms out and the "Events 2019" layer show as they zoom in. I might need to rethink how I want my dashboard to work if this is not feasible.

0 Kudos