Export CSV file within ArcGIS Dashboard based on HFS View Layer

Jump to solution
01-20-2022 01:35 PM
MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I have constructed an ArcGIS Dashboard that utilizes the "table" module within the dashboard. I want to allow my users to "export" the table directly into a csv file. Within the ArcGIS Dashboard Online help; there is mention of being able to perform this.

However, it is a little confusing/contradictory when looking at the online help though. Within the "download source data" section of this resource - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/create-and-share/download-data.htm, there are the following statements made:

"Tip: You can limit fields that are downloaded by using a feature layer view."

However, in the very next paragraph we have this stated: "When downloaded, the data includes "all" fields in the layer or view, including any fields that are not visualized."

So the export function will export "all fields" regardless if you have a "feature layer view" being utilized within the module.

There are other means of achieving the export, but this would be a great feature if it worked. Could this be a bug that has not been reported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi @MichaelBruening

Thanks for the details. The issue is that the owner (or admin) of the data has special privileges that (at present) allow them to download all the fields, despite what the view defines as accessible/available fields. We suggest you only use the data download capability in dashboards when signed in with a different (non-owner, non-admin) account. This will ensure you get only the fields you expect.

We are working to update this behavior for the next release (planned for March). 

We will also work to clarify this part of the documentation. When it said, "... including any fields that are not visualized." it is referring to the visualization (e.g., a list, chart, or table). So, although a list might not display/visualize every field, all of them (within the limits of the view layer) will be downloaded.

Thanks,
- Dave

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DebSF
by
New Contributor III

That second sentence means the same as the first. "All fields in the view" means all  fields you have chosen to be in the view layer will be included in the download. Fields (and any features) that you have hidden in the view layer will not be downloaded.

MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

I understand what the help support states. However, I am having the opposite occur within my setup while using the feature layer view. Meaning, "ALL" data fields are being exported, instead of just the data fields specified within my "view".

0 Kudos
DebSF
by
New Contributor III

Ah ok. My data is working the way the documentation describes - I've created a View Layer that only includes some of the fields and am using that in my dashboard. When I export the table, it just includes those fields.

MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

I guess I have found a bug? I am going to start over from scratch to see if there is just something not working correctly. Just seems odd to me. Thank you for confirming this does indeed work. I appreciate your responses and i will post back with my results.

MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

Yup, doesn't matter what I do, I still have the data being exported from the table module with "all" data fields being included. I am going to start a support ticket as I think this could be an undiscovered bug.

DavidNyenhuis1
Esri Contributor

Hi @MichaelBruening

Thanks for the details. The issue is that the owner (or admin) of the data has special privileges that (at present) allow them to download all the fields, despite what the view defines as accessible/available fields. We suggest you only use the data download capability in dashboards when signed in with a different (non-owner, non-admin) account. This will ensure you get only the fields you expect.

We are working to update this behavior for the next release (planned for March). 

We will also work to clarify this part of the documentation. When it said, "... including any fields that are not visualized." it is referring to the visualization (e.g., a list, chart, or table). So, although a list might not display/visualize every field, all of them (within the limits of the view layer) will be downloaded.

Thanks,
- Dave

MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

Hello @DavidNyenhuis1,

Thank you for the explanation behind the behavior of this process and what is occurring. I am an Admin within our Organization and this explains why I continue to see all of the data being exported. It would be helpful if we could have these types of exceptions be explained for all tools/processes within the online support. I spent quite a bit of time attempting to recreate the views, dashboards, and find other means of achieving the exported csv file. However, lesson learned and I will have to employ someone with a lower license level to test out my creations. 

Thank you,

Mike

MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

It also appears as though this method only works with the newest map viewer and no longer with the Map Viewer Classic. This is good to know also, because it will require some updating of our older maps and hosted layer views. Thank you again for the information.

0 Kudos
AdminNCCMA
New Contributor II

Hi @DavidNyenhuis1 

Are there plans to make the "Download data" in ArcGIS Online - ArcGIS Dashboards compatible with Feature Services coming from ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal/Server)? (not just Hosted Feature Layers as current Download data—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation)

AdminNCCMA_0-1645063332493.png

Thanks

Pat